NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

complete automation

hi guys i start a new job next week and it invokes working a few nights a week , now i can guarantee it will be clear then so how do i run my observatory from where I'm working it does have internet,just need some pointers really software hardware etc , i think i need to automate the roll of roof ,a rain sensor?? and how do i get the computers to talk to each other over the internet

thanks mark

Hi,

I have done similar  but with a dome to operate it when I am out of the country but I can answer your questions 2 and 3. Throughout I needed reliability so for a rain sensor I use the Aurora Eurotech III and it works well; you can set it up to close the roof should it rain and not allow it to open in the first place but presently I do not employ that option. When I switch on I let it run for a few minutes to settle down and then take the readings from the graphs, that way I feel that I have more control - easy.

To get my computers to talk to one another, initially I used Real VNC but then changed to TeamViewer, the latter is so much better, set up once and it hasn't missed a beat over 2 moths and counting whereas occasionally Real VNC would change the IP address for no reason, both are free software for amateur use. From the blogs that I have read TeamViewer is becoming the fleet leader, justified in my opinion.

As I said, can't help with the roof got to be a way with motors and micro-switches, I heard on one thread about using a garage door opener but I am sure someone on here will give you a good steer.

Regards

Mike

It operates from anywhere in the world with an internet connection. My son uses it to operate the dome from London, when not at home I operate it from Spain! Not tempting fate but its easy to set up and faultless.

Regards

Maybe I've missed something reading this on the phone but.. When you say "complete automation" are we talking remote realtime manual operation for viewing, /imaging or automated/autonomous imaging?

I've been through this curve over last 3 years or so to the point I'm now just about running autonomous. Manual remote is pretty straight forward getting to automated has been a bit more of an expensive learning curve than I first expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what i want to do is via a computer is automatically open the roof  (i can now access via team viewer the scopes eqmod cdc etc thats sorted now ) focus the scopes (i got sw auto focuser) and close the roof and setup a cloud/rain sensor 

Ok. there are quite a few different ways to do a roll of roof. Depends on the weight & construction. If you have a look through the DIY section you'll see some ideas.  Mine's quite heavy because I ended up building it a bit more substantial than I expected to, having experienced severe gales & waist deep snow when I started it! I can quite happily walk around on mine. So it probably takes the same effort to push the roof as it does my car! I use an electric gate motor driving a rail.  Like these http://www.gatemotors.co.uk/Sliding-Gate-Kits-51-17-22 You'll want to have open & close sensors, parking sensor on the mount/scope so it won't close before its parked if you need to park in a custom position so the roof wont hit the scope.

If you have everything running ok via the Obsy pc then you're fine getting access using Teamviewer, thats what I use as well as web browser access using ACP. For weather monitoring I went down the AAG_CloudWatcher with Anemometer route as it has support from the usual automation software (Maxim, ACP SGP etc). Again in the DIY section there home brew ideas but for power switching control etc. I use the Seletek Platypus & Firefly. Again it has Ascom drivers & scripting support that are compatible with the major software packages. http://tienda.lunatico.es/Seletek-PLATYPUS-controller

Automated repeatable accurate focussing remotely usually is best using a stepper motor (SW focuser isn't.. I have one unused on my 80ED for a couple of years) & software such as Focusmax. But if you are doing all this in real time & your workflow already works for you locally then it will work via Teamviewer. Don't forget though you can't physically use a bahtinov ;)

The big thing to remember is the difference to being able to nip out in to the garden if something goes wrong as opposed to being miles away.

My 2 things at the top of the list is weather safety and security. You want the Obsy to automatically safely park the scope & shut the roof if the weather becomes unsafe at minimum. I also have the imaging etc halted/suspended & Obsy startup shutdown routines to control power, dehumidifier etc.

Security may not be a concern for you but even knowing if a cat has jumped in & the roof has closed is useful ;)

I have cameras to monitor whats going on inside & out, Multiple independent security systems for doors, roof & movement detection etc. I can still detect intrusion including movement, separate from normal operational activity whilst the Obsys in operation.

Ok. there are quite a few different ways to do a roll of roof. Depends on the weight & construction. If you have a look through the DIY section you'll see some ideas.  Mine's quite heavy because I ended up building it a bit more substantial than I expected to, having experienced severe gales & waist deep snow when I started it! I can quite happily walk around on mine. So it probably takes the same effort to push the roof as it does my car! I use an electric gate motor driving a rail.  Like these http://www.gatemotors.co.uk/Sliding-Gate-Kits-51-17-22 You'll want to have open & close sensors, parking sensor on the mount/scope so it won't close before its parked if you need to park in a custom position so the roof wont hit the scope.

If you have everything running ok via the Obsy pc then you're fine getting access using Teamviewer, thats what I use as well as web browser access using ACP. For weather monitoring I went down the AAG_CloudWatcher with Anemometer route as it has support from the usual automation software (Maxim, ACP SGP etc). Again in the DIY section there home brew ideas but for power switching control etc. I use the Seletek Platypus & Firefly. Again it has Ascom drivers & scripting support that are compatible with the major software packages. http://tienda.lunatico.es/Seletek-PLATYPUS-controller

Automated repeatable accurate focussing remotely usually is best using a stepper motor (SW focuser isn't.. I have one unused on my 80ED for a couple of years) & software such as Focusmax. But if you are doing all this in real time & your workflow already works for you locally then it will work via Teamviewer. Don't forget though you can't physically use a bahtinov ;)

The big thing to remember is the difference to being able to nip out in to the garden if something goes wrong as opposed to being miles away.

My 2 things at the top of the list is weather safety and security. You want the Obsy to automatically safely park the scope & shut the roof if the weather becomes unsafe at minimum. I also have the imaging etc halted/suspended & Obsy startup shutdown routines to control power, dehumidifier etc.

Security may not be a concern for you but even knowing if a cat has jumped in & the roof has closed is useful ;)

I have cameras to monitor whats going on inside & out, Multiple independent security systems for doors, roof & movement detection etc. I can still detect intrusion including movement, separate from normal operational activity whilst the Obsys in operation.

brilliant thanks thats the info i wanted 

mark

Archived