Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Suggestions on what to spend a little windfall on ...

Hiya,

Okay, well, I've had a little windfall which I can put towards some astronomy stuff. It's only £100, although I can probably bung that up by another £20 or so. I've already decided on an OIII filter (£40) which leaves 60-80 quid on some other goodies. First thought was a nice planetary EP, something like a William Optic SLV 6mm, but I'm not sure if it would be suitable for my 250PX.

Other thoughts were a Telrad, or perhaps a right angle finder, but as I'm happy enough with the standard finder that's not so much of an issue. Basically, I want the most bang for my buck, as the saying goes (the OIII will definitely do that).

Any thoughts? You can see what I've got already in my signature.

Cheers,

Kev.

Hi,

For my 250px, I think the 1:10 focusser upgrade for Eu69 was one of the best investments. It is comparable to the well engineered feel of a feathertouch in use (!!!).

Also a Telrad is worth its weight in platinum- but is the biggest dew magnet ;)

If you don't get now, maybe keep in mind for birthday/Xmas pressies suggestions etc

Best of luck with it

Niall

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2625_1-10-micro-transmission-for-retrofitment-of-Crayford-focusers.html

Hi Niall,

Thanks. Hadn't considered a focuser. That's a good idea! I did think about a Telrad, but I've heard they're dew magnets and I'm happy enough with the stock finder.

Still thinking of going with my first instincts (an OIII filter and a planetary EP). Reading up on the William Optic SPL 6mm and the Celestron X-Cel LX 7mm. It's not often I get to spend this much money on astro gear, and I want to get it right!

:)

Kev.

Hiya Kev, don't really have any ideas but a possible suggestion could be the highest quality 2mm exit pupil widefield eyepiece you can realistically afford. I'm convinced this will end up being one of your most used eyepieces.

A 6mm WO SPL would be a good shout new. I've just picked up a Meade Series 5000 6.7mm UWA for £60 second hand. Both would give approximately 200x in that scope, which is useful more often than you would think.

I'm out of step with the world in general on Telrads. Mine was such a dew magnet, I gave it away with a Dob I sold, because I literally couldn't be bothered to un-stick the base and spend time cleaning the sticky residue off. I preferred the Rigel Quickfinder because at least that had half an attempt at a shroud covering the glass. I wouldn't buy one of them again either, but I did stay I was out of step on this issue!

Russell

A 6mm WO SPL would be a good shout new. I've just picked up a Meade Series 5000 6.7mm UWA for £60 second hand. Both would give approximately 200x in that scope, which is useful more often than you would think.

I'm out of step with the world in general on Telrads. Mine was such a dew magnet, I gave it away with a Dob I sold, because I literally couldn't be bothered to un-stick the base and spend time cleaning the sticky residue off. I preferred the Rigel Quickfinder because at least that had half an attempt at a shroud covering the glass. I wouldn't buy one of them again either, but I did stay I was out of step on this issue!

Russell

Yeah - they do dew up incredibly fast! I plan to solder a few resistors one of these days to make a heater + a little thermally insulating cover.

But in my case an incredibly effective bit of kit that gave a step change in how many DSOs I could find quickly. Even when dewed up, whacking up intensity/a wipe with a tissue and a bit of mentally interpolating the sky allows me to plough on... :)

Hiya Kev, don't really have any ideas but a possible suggestion could be the highest quality 2mm exit pupil widefield eyepiece you can realistically afford. I'm convinced this will end up being one of your most used eyepieces.

Hi Qualia,

That's interesting, because that was something I was considering. My 32mm plossl and 24mm 68-degree MaxVision are pretty good, and my 20x80 bins are pretty good too. Can you suggest a particular model?

Cheers,

Kev

Kev,

Your 16mm + 2.5x Barlow = 6.4mm so perhaps you could forgo a dedicated eyepiece in that focal length (6mm or 7mm discussed above) and put the money on something else.

Telrad and focuser will enhance the functionality of your scope and make it easier to observe better IMHO.

Kev,

Your 16mm + 2.5x Barlow = 6.4mm so perhaps you could forgo a dedicated eyepiece in that focal length (6mm or 7mm discussed above) and put the money on something else.

Telrad and focuser will enhance the functionality of your scope and make it easier to observe better IMHO.

Go, your right, of course, and that's why I bought the Barlow in combination with the 16mm. It's never really given me clear views, tho. I tried a cheap 6mm recently, and Jupiter was sharper in that than with the Barlow.

I am tempted by the telrad, don't get me wrong ...

Kev

Well, this changes things then. The Maxvision barlows well from what I know so it's probably the barlow 

But given your eyepiece lineup, you are pretty well covered except at the 6-7mm, so probably a dedicated eyepiece which won't be much more expensive than a barlow.

I want to thank everyone who helped with this, it's been very useful. I've gone with my original instincts (6mm SPL and OIII filter). I'll probably put my barlow up for sale now, as I doubt it'll get much use now, and I'll put the money towards a telrad.

Cheers,

Kev.

Archived