Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just got my first camera for video astronomy! Have some noob questions.

FlyingArk

Hey guys and gals, 

First post. It's been a couple months since I first purchased my starter scope - Heritage 130p, I've been enjoying the visuals very much. I recently purchased my first camera for video astronomy, this is the one I got (without the lens and IR filter removed): 

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6457617913.html?orderId=65483783701868

My technical knowledge on cameras isn't very good, but without a lens on the camera, I believe I need something to keep dust from getting on the sensor. Other than what looks like a very thin piece of glass, I don't see much else protecting the sensor itself. Here is a picture of my unit I got today, and here is a picture showing the sensor with the cap off. 

With the open concept of the Heritage 130p, it looks like it would be very easy for dust and other bad things to get into the eyepiece socket and potentially land on the sensor of the camera. How would you guys recommend attaching this camera to the Heritage 130p while ensuring the sensor stays clean during use? I would like to have a wide view of  the skies through this camera, maybe a focal reducer that would screw right into the camera itself? If there are others here with some experience using this camera, I would appreciate some beginner tips as well. Being on a tight budget, this camera was recommended to me by some more seasoned video astronomers. From what research I was able to do on it, it definitely seems like a good bang for your buck.  

Thank you for the replies in advance!

Hi

The camera should be fine, you'll need a CS to 1.25" nose piece - FLO has one for £13 I think which is threaded to take 1.25" filters.

No need for an IR block if you are using it with a newtonian and no reducer - you can fit one to protect the sensor from dust but then you'll get dust on the filter.

However if you are hoping to use it with the Heritage 130p you may have a problem as you do not have any form of tracking.

Even at 1 second exposure the image will move across the screen blurring the image. This camera is capable of 20 second exposures and will pick up many DSOs if the mount can track for this amount if time.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Hi

The camera should be fine, you'll need a CS to 1.25" nose piece - FLO has one for £13 I think which is threaded to take 1.25" filters.

No need for an IR block if you are using it with a newtonian and no reducer - you can fit one to protect the sensor from dust but then you'll get dust on the filter.

However if you are hoping to use it with the Heritage 130p you may have a problem as you do not have any form of tracking.

Even at 1 second exposure the image will move across the screen blurring the image. This camera is capable of 20 second exposures and will pick up many DSOs if the mount can track for this amount if time.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Awesome thank you, I found the adapter you're talking about on FlO and then found this on ebay, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's essentially the same product, and has threads inside as well to accept 1.25" filters. The ebay one works out to be $10 cheaper for my canadian dollar too. 

I am working on the tracking issue as well by making a DIY tracking system mod for the Heritage 130p. I've installed a lazy susan bearing to reduce the friction at the base already, and once the stepper motors and control electronics come in I will hopefully begin serious work on it. My plan is to get coordinates from stellarium and send those to via serial connection to an arduino controlling the altitude and azimuth angles on the scope. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone here attempted such a project before. Thanks again for the help.    

Listen to Dr. D and you should be fine  :grin:

You are about to embark upon an exciting adventure with video astronomy; I've been doing it for about eleven years now, and with modest equipment. It never gets old!

Best wishes and clear skies!

Reggie

Your camera is in fact,IMO, the LN300 I think as I bought one via USA Ebay from some org called Miracle Cottage so for info google LN300 - Biggest bug bear the lack of remote control - unless you are good with a soldiering iron (i am not). Great for putting in 2" compression ring adapters on newts. Have fun.

Archived