ISS Transiting the Moon 6th Feb 2015

Fantastic sequence and great timing. I take it these don't come along very often, but will check on google:-)

Best place to check these is Calsky.org but also double check with heavens-above.com as I have had unsuccessful attempts when these disagree. They do not come frequently and needs the right set of circumstances. I just about got near perfect seeing, focus (though collimation probably needs adjusting), exposure and timing. 

Superb image and it would be great to know when it's next due to occur as you've set me another challenge to replicate.

Presumably you used your Canon DSLR

Yes, I used my Canon 70D - pretty high frame rate (7 fps) and could set a high ISO to get the shutter speed fast enough. Use Calsky.org to see when the next one is near you. They probably occur at any site a couple of times a year (or there will be ones within 20 miles more frequently) but the ideal circumstances seem to be less frequent.

• 2 months later...

This photo is published in the Gallery of the June 2015 edition of Sky and Telescope. My complimentary copies arrived today. Should be on general release in a week or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived