NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Ha data with old DSLR Data?

You can add the Ha to the red channel if you know how to split the channels.

or 

Add the Ha as a luminosity layer however this has a tendency to make red appear pink.  In which case lift the curves in the RGB and lower the curve in the Luminosity layer before flattening.

However before you can do any of this you need to make sure your images will fit exactly over each other.  Maxim and Nebulosity have a method, but the best one i have found for this is Registar which is over £100, but one of the best bits of software I have bought.

Carole 

Hello Iv recently taken new Ha data with an Atik 314L+ i have about 2 hours worth of data with a modified dslr. How can i combine these?

You need to register one to the other first. Then you need to extract the red channel from the OSC and add the Ha to the red channel and then recombine. You may find that the Ha will now give you funny colour stars. There are ways of getting round this but it depends on which software you are using.

A.G

Its going to be a long old process, but it involves (as said above) blending some of the Ha with the DSLR red channel, but not too much otherwise you lose the blues (you might end up pushing the blue a bit). Then you need to use a layer mask so the CCD data picks up just outside M42 and the running man (ie: exclude M42 and RM from the CCD layer). I did exactly the same as what youre trying to do with my old 314 and 1000d:

8504403699_5e141c87d6_c.jpg

Theres no need to add additional Ha to M42 becuase your DSLR will have done it well enough already, its a case of finding the point where the DSLR data falls away and where you can let the CCD take over. Actually I prefer the DSLR colour on this object becuase when its done in pure LRGB it never quite seems to look right.

Is there a way of matching the image sizes in Photoshop? I can't afford to buy new software?

Not really as matching images are a little more complicated than just rescaling the subs. The more sophisticated software even compensate for different field curvatures. Having said all this I am more than willing to be proven wrong.

A.G

Archived