Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

February 5, 2015: BIG filament during solar lunchtime

Had the scope out during lunch. Very nice detail overall, some nice filaments and plage areas, also a couple of proms (in particular one on the eastern limb), but the show was stolen by a HUGE filament on the eastern half of the disk. Really superb detail could be seen within it, and a nice AR with a lot of bright plage could be seen to its north. With a bit of luck, I might be able to capture some nice H-alpha data with the new scope later today

What a difference a day makes, wall to wall sunshine today!. First light with my Coronado SM60/Tasco solar rig with a BF15. Very pleased with it, nice black background free from ghosts,barely noticeable sweet spot and very responsive tuning. A significant step up from a PST but falls short of my 120mm PST mod as might be expected. The excellent 60mm Tasco objective is 700mm FL, a little longer than I would like for video imaging so I will probably look out for a 60mm-70mm quality refractor around 500mm FL to replace it. I have tried it out on my Sky90 which has a 500mm FL this worked well but is rather a waste of aperture and very heavy by comparison.   :smiley: 

What a difference a day makes, wall to wall sunshine today!. First light with my Coronado SM60/Tasco solar rig with a BF15. Very pleased with it, nice black background free from ghosts,barely noticeable sweet spot and very responsive tuning. A significant step up from a PST but falls short of my 120mm PST mod as might be expected. The excellent 60mm Tasco objective is 700mm FL, a little longer than I would like for video imaging so I will probably look out for a 60mm-70mm quality refractor around 500mm FL to replace it. I have tried it out on my Sky90 which has a 500mm FL this worked well but is rather a waste of aperture and very heavy by comparison.   :smiley:

Great to hear you had your first light. Marvelous scope, that SM60, also for imaging, as I have been able to report here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/236185-february-6-2015-first-big-mosaic-with-sm-ii-60mm-74-panes/

Archived