Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PST Mod vs Quark. Help me choose a setup!

Hello, 

I give in :cool: . 

Looking towards the summer and the amazing h-alpha images on this forum I've decided to invest in a Solar setup. 

Firstly to be clear...I am purely interested in high resolution imaging of the Sun. Don't care about full disk etc. 

I've seen some amazing images with the Quark but equally so with a PST Mod. I was leaning towards the latter, partly because I don't like the sound of the 4.2x barlow. But then the quark is probably cheaper and a lot easier. Aaaargh  :confused:

Would a Quark and a SW 150mm f/5 go well together maybe? Better results than a Tal 100rs + Pst mod? 

I would love some opinions and help!  :smiley:

Many thanks, 

Dan

Hello Dan. If you are starting from scratch then it's a close call. The Quark route is less expensive particularly if you already have a suitable refractor. I have several PST mods and have had access to a good Quark. For me, a non imager, I find that a Quark would add little to my solar enjoyment other than being able to use a mechanically shorter telescope, a PST mod requires a minimum of F10 for a straightforward conversion. Bear in mind that a 6" F5 without a focal reducer will be working at 3250mm FL, quite a challenge on other than a day of good seeing. The heating up and tuning of the Quark is not the issue that first sight would imply. For my use, the PST mod provides a brighter image and with a larger than standard blocking filter I can achieve a full disc right up to a highly magnified portion with the twist of a zoom eyepiece.

As I said, a close call.  :smiley:

Hi Dan,

I've found the Quark's Barlow to be not much of a problem in practice. I use a 0.5x reducer currently, so it's more like using a 2x Barlow setup - which tends to be my default starting point with white light and my 120mm scope. I haven't used a PST mod, I lack the modding skills!

With a 150mm scope and Quark, the manual says to use a front energy rejection filter, so that would add to the cost on the Quark side.

I'm about to be in a position to try a Quark in a 150mm f5 scope for visual only so will let you know my findings.

My gut feeling from reading all the various reports is that a good PST mod in the 100 to 120mm range with a large blocking filter is probably hard to beat. You do need the time and capability of putting it all together though, which is why I chose the Quark route.

As a simple solution which needs no modifications, and assuming you have a suitable refractor to put it in, it is an excellent choice.

Even in my Tak 60mm, I get excellent detail, exceeding a standard PST quite easily, with full disk views. In the longer focal length, larger aperture scopes you are stick with higher mags, but to be honest, provided the seeing is ok, the views are pretty mesmerising.

My experience with the PST was not a happy one.
Actually, despite living in one of the most sun-drenched countries on earth, my solar viewing has been quite limited.  Largely because when the sun shines I take cover  as it will toast my pasty
English hide in no time.
I really like the idea of the quark, but am waiting on a good review or two before I go down that route.
A possible alternative could be the new Lunt 50mm at around $800 USD, its quite a bit cheaper than the quark (at least down here) and its designed with AP and Video in mind-or so I'm told.

Archived