NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What size bolt for Dovetail?

rawhead

I thought Whitworth had been discontinued for ages now. The only bolt head my old 1/4" Whitworth spanner will fit is a battery clamp bolt on a very old car. When I wanted a 3" long 1/4" Whit. bolt to make a mirror lock device for my LX90, The local engineering hardware supplier didn't sell Whit. bolts, but he did have a length of rod, and fortunately some nuts too, but he said they were the last in stock.

Ron.

I thought Whitworth had been discontinued for ages now. The only bolt head my old 1/4" Whitworth spanner will fit is a battery clamp bolt on a very old car. When I wanted a 3" long 1/4" Whit. bolt to make a mirror lock device for my LX90, The local engineering hardware supplier didn't sell Whit. bolts, but he did have a length of rod, and fortunately some nuts too, but he said they were the last in stock.

Ron.

Still used for camera tripod attachments, Ron, and not many places stock them. Thank goodness for the internet and stigfastners :hello1:

Helen

You can also use UNC 1/4-20 in place of BSW 1/4 as the thread pitch is very similar.

Its similar enough to be identical. :rolleyes:

The difference is in the angle of the sides of the thread, UNC is cut with a 60 degree pointed cutter, Whitworth uses a 55 degree cutter. This means that you can use a UNC instead of Whitworth, but its not a proper fit.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Ron.

Most of the bolts on Synta mounts seems to be Whitworth......seems the Chinese are a little bit behind :rolleyes:

Archived