NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mount telescope to Skywatcher Star Adventurer L bracket

Amra

I have a Skywatcher Heritage 130P telescope I'd like to mount to my Skywatcher Star Adventurer mount on occasions. I have both the L bracket & counterweight accessories.

Now the L bracker has a 1/4 screw, I'd like to find some kind of adapter I can put there so I can mount my small telescope there with the dovetail.

Here's a picture of it:

salbracket.jpg

Anyone know of such an adapter? 1/4 thread to dovetail holder? 

My searches so far have turned up nothing. I could maybe drill a thread into the existing dovetail on my Heritage 130P, but it would be more practical with a holder so I could use other telescopes in the future.

I bought a mount to add my DSLR to fit on that heritage mount and my ST80.

My ST80 is the T one so had a bar with tripod thread points already mounted to it.

I bought a different one from FLO.

I have a picture of it fitted off to get a link.

I have read and read your post and I think you already have the L bracket. Any the one I fitted is here

This is what is effectively fitted to my Orion ST80 though I have several camera thread holes on it too which I use to them attached to my tripods.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/slt-series/skywatcher-st80-dovetail.html

Hmm maybe I didn't explain myself well enough.

I already have the L bracket, what I need is a way to use the OTA together with that L bracket, pretty much a dovetail saddle that can be mounted on the 1/4 screw thread at that 90 degree angle.

I think one of these would work;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Dovetail-Platform-for-telescope-female-black-/161234466001?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item258a52b4d1

If you could get it bolted on tight enough to stop the scope rotating.

The other problem is that ideally you want your scope to be pivoting on its center line so that its balanced and i think it will be to high up.

James.

I think one of these would work;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Dovetail-Platform-for-telescope-female-black-/161234466001?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item258a52b4d1

If you could get it bolted on tight enough to stop the scope rotating.

The other problem is that ideally you want your scope to be pivoting on its center line so that its balanced and i think it will be to high up.

James.

I think this is what I need, thanks a lot for the link. :)

If I'm able to balance it with the current alt/azimuth mount, it should also work with this I would think.

If you already have tube rings for your scope like these http://www.firstlightoptics.com/tube-rings/skywatcher-telescope-tube-rings.html you can use the one with the piggy back camera adaptor on it to attach your scope to the skywatcher dovetail/ l bracket I do it with my St80 works a treat and its a lot lighter too! Jus remove the 1/4 in screw bit from the ring and screw your L braket into it!

I went with the adapter James linked, and I received it today. Now I've mounted it all up and it works great!

The L bracket already has a tension control inbuilt, so I can easily lock/unlock dec & ra axis for manual targetting.

post-28221-0-77067100-1422991613_thumb.j

However it seems that small counterweight is not quite enough to balance it super well (but it will probably track just fine as is) so I'm going to look into what kind of small weights I could use there. :)

Archived