NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Combining Images in GIMP

Hi All

I'm playing around with layers in GIMP as I had no idea how to use them two days ago, but am now fairly comfortable loading a couple of images, aligning them, adding a layer mask and using the paintbrush tool to allow one to come through to the other. The plan is to have a go with some long and some short images of Orion and combine the two final stacked images to get the nebula and the core.

I need to work on getting the two stacked images' "brightness" levels more similar as the ones I am playing with are a bit different and when using the paintbrush tool to bring the rear image "out" the blend isn't very subtle.

Am I working on the right principle here, or is there a better way to merge or blend in GIMP? I've tried using those controls, but they don't seem to change anything, so I suspect I need to so more work in that area.

If anyone has any favourite tutorials that they use and are willing to share that would be great.

Cheers!

Yes.  Below (or above?) the blend mode menu at the top of the layers box there is a slider (and also a little box where you can type in the % number if you find the slide tricky to use as I do!). So just select each layer in turn and set the opacity, then use "merge visible layers" or "merge down".  If you set the opacity to something other than 1/N (in percent by the way, so 1/3 is 33.33%) then you give more or less weight to that particular layer. So you were trying to stack lots of subs of the same exposure time you would do 1/N, but if you were stacking stacks with different total exposures you could change the weighting so the longer stack got more.

NigelM

Archived