Eq mount set up

Hi All

I have been using an Eq mount now for a while but I'm not sure I am setting it up properly. I seem to end up with the eyepiece being either too high or too low and rotating the tube messe2 up the alignment.

The equipment is a 200mm Skywatcher reflector on an EQ5 goto mount.

Cheers, Phil

You can get scope rings with bearings that allow easy rotation, but they are expensive. A cheaper route is to have a third standard scope ring, or any sturdy metal band fastened around the tube above the existing rings but not attached to the dovetail bar. Position it so that when your scope is balanced it rests against the user tube ring which I'd attached. This allows you to have the scope rings slightly loose allowing rotation, but without risk of the tube sliding down. A small pair of lightweight stepladders make an alternative to observing chairs. Just sit or stand on the most comfy height step. Hope this helps.

You can use embroidery hoops as well behind the scope rings, this works for some people. You could try skfboilers suggestion about the eyepiece but I found this meant sometimes the scope was not balanced. When I had a similar combo I had to take a small stool to stand on which is fine until you get to your dark site and find you have forgotten it!

As previously said embroidery rings fitted like these on mine you can then rotate the tube to a more comfortable position  for viewing. 

I did the same as this except I put both rings on the outside of the tube rings so it wont slide out when pointing downward :)... just a thought

I did the same as this except I put both rings on the outside of the tube rings so it wont slide out when pointing downward :)... just a thought

Great idea never thought of that i will now do that thank you see this site is brilliant learn something new everyday.

Hi All

I have been using an Eq mount now for a while but I'm not sure I am setting it up properly. I seem to end up with the eyepiece being either too high or too low and rotating the tube messe2 up the alignment.

The equipment is a 200mm Skywatcher reflector on an EQ5 goto mount.

Cheers, Phil

I think you may have  set the scope up correctly, but the effects your having are typical (for me ) of  using a Newtonian on an EQ system. But the more you become familiar with the system, and overcome the extra time required for  constant minor adjustments, you will get better in handling the telescope. 

I started with a second-hand Celestron on a GEM mount, and for those reasons alone, and not wanting to facilitate Astro photography, I chose the Dobsonian mount.

I don't need EQ or  tracking and my system is  quicker than any GoTo /tracking system.

Archived