Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Magic Lantern

Alien 13

I have spent a lot of time asking myself should I risk it and today thought maybe its time so I downloaded the latest ZIP file for the 650D camera and........

The issue I have is that when i unzip the file with IZarc i get an error messsage concerning the header and fails CRC check at the end is this normal?

The second question is that are the zipped files in the nightly downloads all i need or is there anything else required?

Thanks in advance

Alan

For the 700D I download the appropriate Nightly Build, using WinRar I extracted the files to a new desk top folder. Formatted the SD card, created a ML folder at the root, then copied the contents of the desktop folder onto the card, then went to the tools menu on the camera and did the upgrade firmware bit, job done.

If you follow the Install instructions on the main ML website under the Support page you'll not go wrong.

For info files in your root folder will be ML, 650D_firxyz.fir, autoexec.bin. (xyz = your firmware version, check this on your camera before starting).

Best of luck,

Rich

Hi Rich im not having much luck couldnt get 7Zip to work and WinRar is not free but I will continue looking its odd that my normal software keeps showing errors it unpacks the following folders

data-modules-scripts with 3.lut files in the 1st, 12 .mo and a .sym file in the 2nd, and 12 files in the 3rd.

Alan

That's odd. OK WinRar is not supposed to be free, but 40 day trial works just fine and then you are requested to uninstall it. 

Anyhow, I just downloaded ML for a 650D canon firmware 1.0.4 from the ML website and the zip file contains the info that I mentioned above. ML 650D

However if you really can't get through the install, drop me a PM with your email address and I'll see if I can send you the 650D folder I have (not gmail etc but a proper one, file sizes etc).

Thanks again i just installed winrar and tried to open the file but still getting the error message that the file is damaged so something odd is happening to the file off ML, i will  investigate further.

The problem is that it only downloads 1.18 of the 1.58MB file not sure whats causing this though.

Alan

That's good to hear Alan, I was thinking of saying change browser, my default is IE, but I tend to download with FF, the reason that FF is not default is that a new version seems to arrive every 4 days.

Installing onto an SD card should not be a worry, it remains on the SD card. Just follow the simple install instructions and you should be fine.

All the best,

Rich

• 1 year later...

Old topic but current question.

Did you install it in the end Alan?

And are you actually using it please?

I use CHDK a lot on my little Canon ixus700 but it is a doddle just each time I want to use it I just do the firmware thing and it is a transient change. Magic Lantern on the other hand changes the boot flag on the camera so before going any further I am going to get a second SD card so I can always carry a spare card all setup just in case the primary card corrupts.

Have just installed it, used a 3rd May 2015 build. Seems to be working as expected. Will be preparing a second SD card so I always carry a backup (I have one now but it is just 512Mb so will do another one when the 8Gb arrives).

Archived