Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Filter question re Lodestar X2C

Chinapig

Hi folks

Have at last acquired a Lodestar, partly for AP guiding, but mainly with EAA in mind.

Do you guys use these with a filter - I'm guessing a UV/IR cut - on a regular basis?  I'm presuming that's the next wee thing on my shopping list!  Appreciate confirmation before I place the order - thanks!

Have tried the camera in daylight so far, with a combination of variable polarising filter (nearly fully dark) and a solar continuum filter, to bring the light level down to something manageable.  Using LL (brilliantly simple, lovely software), I grabbed a view of two blokes working on the top of a distant office block, so at least I know the camera works!  First real light very soon...

Cheers

Simon 

Congrats on the acquisition Simon! Looking forward to seeing some images.

I don't use filters for everyday observing with my Newt, but having seen what Don and others have achieved on nebulae with filters this may change. I have used with an O-III to good effect when viewing the Veil but only because I already had one handy.

cheers

Martin

Thanks for thread Martin - yes, I deliberated for a while between the mono and colour X2, before deciding on colour.  I can see the logic (if not the expense) of getting a mono version at some as well!  

Hi Martin,

Great camera. I used a IRcut with mine on a small refractor, helps with star bloat. Also have tried a Olll and UHC with mixed results. My Deep sky filter or my 2" Burgess Nebula filter do a good job on my small scope. On your larger scope they should work even better.

Richard

Hi Simon

I regularly use a Baader Moon & Skyglow (Neodymium) filter to help with local light pollution, I also use an IR CUT when I'm using my INED70 refractor to control bloat but have not needed it with my MAK or SCT.

I've also dabbled with narrow band (35nm Ha) with some success.

Nytecam usually goes as nature intended without any filters despite his London skies!

HTH

Paul

Hi Simon,

When it clears here on Mauna Kea, Hawaii, the seeing approaches the unbelievable. So, LP filters aren't necessary. I have a Baader UV/IR cut filter that I use sometimes with refractors, but have never quantified the effect. I can say that it's not significant. The best filter I have seen as Martin pointed out is the narrow band Ha. I have the Orion 7nm and it produces fantastic results on emission nebulae. They work best on the mono cams, but I have seen some promising results from others using the color LS. They will eliminate all forms of LP including moonlight. They are a bit expensive, but the Orion is reasonably priced and seems to work well.

Nytecam has done some fantastic work with the LS in his light polluted skies and uses no filters. I think his lists his site on his posts which are pretty easy to find. You might want to go there to see what's possible before investing in filters. Here's a link to my gallery using NB Ha filter.

http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/album/3415-narrowband-ha-and-lodestar/

And, here's some wide FOV NB Ha captures:

http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/album/3526-wide-fov-nb-ha-lodestar-x2/

Don

Hi Simon

I regularly use a Baader Moon & Skyglow (Neodymium) filter to help with local light pollution, I also use an IR CUT when I'm using my INED70 refractor to control bloat but have not needed it with my MAK or SCT.

I've also dabbled with narrow band (35nm Ha) with some success.

Nytecam usually goes as nature intended without any filters despite his London skies!

Many thanks Paul - that's very helpful info. Yes, have noted Nytecam's impressive results!

When it clears here on Mauna Kea, Hawaii, the seeing approaches the unbelievable. So, LP filters aren't necessary. I have a Baader UV/IR cut filter that I use sometimes with refractors, but have never quantified the effect. I can say that it's not significant. The best filter I have seen as Martin pointed out is the narrow band Ha. I have the Orion 7nm and it produces fantastic results on emission nebulae. They work best on the mono cams, but I have seen some promising results from others using the color LS. They will eliminate all forms of LP including moonlight. They are a bit expensive, but the Orion is reasonably priced and seems to work well.

Thanks for the comments Don - much appreciated. Good to know what you have found useful, and under what circumstances. And thanks for the links, I've been enjoying watching the progress of your NB and wide FoV results. Most encouraging! I found a secondhand Altair 10x60 finder-guider recently, and I'm itching to give it a go with the LS!

As soon as I have something better than laughable to share, I'll post some images.

Cheers

Simon

Archived