Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

More LSX2 Narrowband Ha

HiloDon

Hi All,

Finally got a decent night here last night with a near full moon. So I tried doing some more narrowband Ha viewing with my 80mm Barska refractor. I also used a .8 FR. Here's a few examples. The rest are posted in my gallery. I would really like to try some wider field viewing to get some of the larger nebulae, but the small sensor makes it tough to achieve. Let me know what you think. I'm always open for suggestions. Thanks.

Don

http://stargazerslounge.com/gallery/album/3415-narrowband-ha-and-lodestar/

post-36930-0-99792300-1418067901.jpg

post-36930-0-90427000-1418067939.jpg

post-36930-0-66859900-1418067974.jpg

Inspiring images as always. Is your filter directly on the camera or a filter wheel? I am almost patiently waiting for clear skies so I can try my new color LSX2

Thanks, Ed. The filter is an Orion 1.25" 7nm Ha. It just crews on to the Lodestar nosepiece. Last night's clear sky was the first in six weeks here. Hope you have better luck. If you haven't done so yet, make sure to view Paul's video on adjusting the histogram in LL for the LSX2C.

Don

Don do you have any suggestions for must have filters that would benefit the Color LSX2? I have a Baader UV IR/cut filter, Meade 4000 narrowband, and a Astronomik CLS-CCD Filter now is there a Ha for color camera?

Don,

Great pics as usual!  I really like Thor's Helmet - nice work!

At 10x45s, the exposures are noticeably longer than your earlier ones; 

would you say this is mostly due to the Moon/LP, the Ha filter, or the 

reduced aperture of the refractor (vs your SCT)?

For my alt/az setup I can't really approach 45 s exposures, so getting

an idea of how much each might be affecting integration time would

be hugely helpful for future viewing on this end.

Cheers!

- Greg A 

Don do you have any suggestions for must have filters that would benefit the Color LSX2? I have a Baader UV IR/cut filter, Meade 4000 narrowband, and a Astronomik CLS-CCD Filter now is there a Ha for color camera?

Ed,

Just from my experience, the only filter I found useful is the narrowband Ha. I have the Baader UV/IR cut filter, but didn't find it very effective for star bloat on my refractors. It also increases the required exposure time. I have very dark skies here so I can't speak to LP filters. Nytecam might respond and I think he doesn't use any with his Lodestars. Since you have some filters, I would suggest experimenting. I think you'll be pretty impressed with the LS performance without them. As far as NB Ha for color, I've been told that because of the Bayer mask, the resolution will be reduced substantially. I may try it someday, but with so few clear nights lately, there's not much time to experiment.

Don

Don,

Great pics as usual!  I really like Thor's Helmet - nice work!

At 10x45s, the exposures are noticeably longer than your earlier ones; 

would you say this is mostly due to the Moon/LP, the Ha filter, or the 

reduced aperture of the refractor (vs your SCT)?

For my alt/az setup I can't really approach 45 s exposures, so getting

an idea of how much each might be affecting integration time would

be hugely helpful for future viewing on this end.

Cheers!

- Greg A

Thanks, Greg. The NB Ha filter really increases the necessary exposure times. You have to get really bright stars to focus. The earlier posts were brighter objects. These are pretty faint, so a lot of exposure is required. I sum stack theses so I watch the image and keep stacking until I think they look good. I can restart the stack if they need more. The neat thing about LL is that you can stack at any exposure, so if you can only get 15 or 30 seconds with your setup, just do more stacks. Another nice thing about NB Ha imaging is that it pretty much eliminates any LP including the moon. That's one of the reasons I do the Ha viewing when the moonlight fills the sky. The earlier posts were also with a nearly full moon and the scope speed was just a bit faster. I did Orion again last night and one 45 second exposure was enough. Probably could have gotten by with 30 seconds. I posted it in my gallery and it was median stacked to smooth the image.

Don

Lovely captures Don, and with a full moon, very impressive. Looks like a good setup for Ha imaging. You are inspiring me to have a go with my 72mm refractor @ F4.8 with the reducer. just need th Ha filter.

Rob

Thanks, Rob. Your refractor should work well. Nice field of view for larger nebulae. Next time out I'm going to try more reduction. The Ha filters are expensive, and it looks like the Orion is the best value. The Ha setup isn't bothered by moonlight or LP, so it's ideal for nights affected by them.

Don

Archived