Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Star Adventurer OTA

Hi All,

I have the Skywatcher Star Adventurer portable EQ mount and was wondering if any of you have used one of these with a small OTA? I also have a Nexstar 4 and was thinking of using the ota off that, but with a dslr attached I think I might be pushing the weight limit which I believe is 5kg.

I have the "Astronomy pack" which includes the counterweight.

I would like to use the ota for dslr photography with long exposures (a couple of minutes or so), and I think I might like to go for a refractor this time, being the owner of a couple of reflectors, unless you have other ideas.

I have successfully used the mount with the dslr directly attached and have achieved some reasonable results.

I don't have a massive budget btw!

Cheers,

Neil.

If I knew how to delete this I would: total brainfade, I've asked this before!

Ah well, any updates, any new kit come out, or would the Starwave 70 ED still be a good bet? Would it be significantly better than using my 70-300 Canon zoom lens?

Small ota would be fine I use an st80 plus canon 550d on mine with no problems! A starwave 70ed plus DSLR body would only weigh around 3kg so would be ok I recon! Sw star adventuer is rated a 5 kg but that's prob for visual so if you want to image with it I guess upto around 3 kg with good balance and counterweight would prob be fine at its limit but ok! Your polar aligning would have to be spot on mind!

Yep that's the one! To fair it's not an imaging scope it has a lot of CA and distortion ! Not being an apo scope But it good to learn with and with a bit of practice and a few tweaks to it lens edge blackening etc it possible to get some usable results! And if n when you upgrade to a better scope you'll have useful experience and will get better results with your new gear! Yes the image will be bigger than from a 70- 300 because an st80 has a focal length of 400 mm f5 so with a crop sensor body your getting around 600 mm ish depending on your exact crop ratio 1.6 on canon 1.5 on Nikon If I remember correctly!

Thanks for that, in view of the CA problems (I'm just looking at Youtube now, learning about the tweaks ) I'm wondering whether I should stump up the cash and get a better quality scope to start off with. As i understand it, I should go for an Apochromatic rather than an Achromatic - have I got that right? Or maybe I'm fussing too much! Is there a decent, light, Apo that would work with the Star Adventurer?  I'm probably going to scare myself with the price now!

This is starting to go a little over my head - 7.5 x 400:  where does the 400 come from? My zoom lens is 70-300? And the 7.5 - where does that come from?

Don't worry, I'm not asking for a full explanation on here! Point me to a webpage!

Archived