Canon won't take a pic!

For the first time today, I connected my canon 60D to my Skyliner 250 via a T ring.

I attempted to take a picture with the camera, on manual settings, of some far away trees just to check it worked, but there was no response from the camera. The subject could be seen through both the viewfinder and on liveview. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Probably something stupid, but it's driving me nuts!!

It might be because the camera thinks there is no lens attached. It usually will give you a warning of this on screen and in some cases you must reset the camera by turning it on and off. Most of the time a simple half press of the shutter button lets you proceed but not always.

When my Canon 1100D is connected to the laptop via the USB cable, that overrides the controls on the camera, so it will only function through the laptop. As soon as the cable is unplugged, the camera operates via the buttons.

Are you certain you were in fully manual mode. What shutter speed did you set? I have a 60D and haven't encountered this problem. I recommend however you always use a cable release or USB connection to you computer.

Few things that can prevent this.

1. You don't have it to full manual (M)

2. You may have a delay shooting setup (start is 10s unless changed to 2s), remote overrides this

3. Your camera settings may be set to prevent shooting during liveview

4. You are already taking an exposure (30s) thus not responsive

Archived