NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moon through a little scope.

michael23

Looks great, very sharp on my mobile which bodes well for when I see it on my desktop. I know zero about that scope you have but it seems to work! Very nice.

Very nice result!

Thank you,it's a scope I brought back in 1996 for birding, Always been a great performer. 

Lovely!

Thank you. 

Good job! I was using an EOS-M doing some prime focus work before I moved over to the Lunar images. its quite a good little camera.

Thanks very much. Do you have your pics from your eos-m on flickr or anywhere? Wouldn't mind taking a look to see the results.

Great capture, well done.

Thank you for looking.

Michael...Take a look in my gallery (each member has one in their profiles). I put some early stuff in the Edge800 one that mentioned Afocal, but was also prime images that was me messing around. I took some of the great globular cluster in hercules and some of Andromeda. I don't have a focal reducer though...

Great picture! Very nice.

It reminds me of something, the Dutch Author C. Van Duyn Jr. wrote in his excellent book on photomicrography, published somewhere in the 1970's ("Het Mikroboek", Focus-Elsevier).
I don't have it at hand, so I have to quote by heart: "Even a humble, inexpensive microscope can give very acceptable images, as long as one is aware of the limitations of the instrument and adapts his technique accordingly".

The same goes for telescopes and astrophotography...

Michael, good shot.

That's the scope I've got and I've occasionally put it to use to look at the heavens. I've been pretty impressed visually: I can just make out a band on Jupiter and see Saturn's rings. Had a look at the green smudge called Lovejoy the other night.

I've toyed with the notion of trying still/video imaging with it, nothing serious mind you, and have got the telephoto adapter 40215 with the intention of giving it a go. I need to get out there and give it a whirl. It'd be OK for lunar as the exposure will be short, but it'd be nice to put it on a sturdier tripod, even better with a driven equatorial. The biggest problem I have is aiming at my targets (though the moon is relatively easy).

Ian

Michael, good shot.

That's the scope I've got and I've occasionally put it to use to look at the heavens. I've been pretty impressed visually: I can just make out a band on Jupiter and see Saturn's rings. Had a look at the green smudge called Lovejoy the other night.

I've toyed with the notion of trying still/video imaging with it, nothing serious mind you, and have got the telephoto adapter 40215 with the intention of giving it a go. I need to get out there and give it a whirl. It'd be OK for lunar as the exposure will be short, but it'd be nice to put it on a sturdier tripod, even better with a driven equatorial. The biggest problem I have is aiming at my targets (though the moon is relatively easy).

Ian

Hi Ian, I too would be very interested in doing more ith the scope to see what can be got out of it, a while back I enquired at opticron if the scope would be able to accept 1.25" eyepieces,but the design wouldn't allow it. I reckon it would work well with a solar filter too.

No, that's right, it doesn't take 1.25" eyepieces. If I remember correctly, when I was looking at spotting scopes the Pentax scope did, but it was more expensive. I use the 18x to 54x zoom eyepiece, which is certainly good enough for me. Using the camera adapter you end up with an effective fl of 800mm. The firmware in my Fuji camera has just been updated and now allows electronic shutter, so that should be good to minimize vibration, and I just need to order the appropriate T adapter.

Archived