Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar System Capture Software?

PhotoGav

I am wondering which is the best software for lunar and planetary capture on a PC? I have an Orion Starshoot Solar System IV colour camera and am currently using SharpCap. This works well, but I can't seem to stop it auto exposing. I can then adjust the exposure, but it is a pain having to adjust each pane of a lunar mosaic rather than using the same exposure for all panes. Just wondering what you good folk use?

Yes, FireCapture is excellent and is my first choice, though I also think SharpCap is excellent.

If you have not already, I would urge you to let SharpCap's author know about any problems you are having.  It is really hard to fix all the bugs in software if you don't know they are there!

Cheers,

Chris

I have had trouble running sharpcap and a QHY5. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and it seems much better. Have yet to try it in the dark though! Might be worth trying?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I prefer SharpCap. Runs much more smoothly on my (admittedly not brand new) machine. And it gives all the features I need.

Surely if you're doing a mosaic you'd want to keep the exposures constant for each frame anyway?

SharpCap gives excellent control over exposure.

Thanks for the thoughts folks. I would like to use Firecapture, but it doesn't seem to run well at all with the particular camera that I have. SharpCap works fine, but as happylimpet says, I want to keep the exposure the same for each pane and I can't seem to remove the 'auto exposure' setting. I can override it and adjust the exposure, but not until it has rejigged things first. I think that this is just a shortcoming of the camera software itself. To be honest, I am seriously considering a camera upgrade for lunar / planetary stuff very soon anyway (thereby hangs a whole other thread - which camera?!). So that will solve this particular issue!

ASI120MM - there is no other choice! (Or 120MC for colour)

This is what I am rapidly coming to the conclusion of, so good to have that confirmation! Just snooping about websites, trying to work out what the best filter wheel would be to use with that camera? Ideally it would be usb controlled. Also, what filters, beyond RGB, are best and which make?

As I said, a thread on it's own...

This is what I am rapidly coming to the conclusion of, so good to have that confirmation! Just snooping about websites, trying to work out what the best filter wheel would be to use with that camera? Ideally it would be usb controlled. Also, what filters, beyond RGB, are best and which make?

As I said, a thread on it's own...

Its like you have a secret camera in my study! - I'm currently looking at filter wheels for mine as I only take mono! So far something like this I'm leaning to as its thin, USB powered and modestly priced.

In terms of cameras, I use a PGR Grasshopper but I know a load of planetary stuff is also done with Flea's, in my case its mainly for Solar stuff. I do like the Point Grey cameras as you can get a great frame rate with excellent resolution. Problem is they're a tad on the pricy side and very bandwidth hungry if you go for the USB 3.0 versions, I've had a lot of fiddling with drivers and compatibility wrt CdC, ASCOM, EQDIR and the native PGR drivers. 

Its like you have a secret camera in my study! - I'm currently looking at filter wheels for mine as I only take mono! So far something like this I'm leaning to as its thin, USB powered and modestly priced.

In terms of cameras, I use a PGR Grasshopper but I know a load of planetary stuff is also done with Flea's, in my case its mainly for Solar stuff. I do like the Point Grey cameras as you can get a great frame rate with excellent resolution. Problem is they're a tad on the pricy side and very bandwidth hungry if you go for the USB 3.0 versions, I've had a lot of fiddling with drivers and compatibility wrt CdC, ASCOM, EQDIR and the native PGR drivers.

Ha! Yes, that filter wheel looks good. That's the one that I was considering when thinking of the Atik CCD. Had a quick look at the Flea cameras - very tasty, but out of budget for me for this application I think. Top of the list at the moment is the USB 3 ZWO mono camera. It's dangerous when the weather is pants... Too much time to browse the Internet!

The Xagyl filter wheel is ok, though I've found mine a little temperamental at times.  It is quite an old version though and I've replaced the controller board because the original one eventually failed (they have a completely new version of the board now).  Unfortunately most of the other USB filter wheels are considerably more expensive.  I've never seen the Atik one in the flesh, but the SX wheel is very solid.

As a short cut to getting a USB-controlled wheel I have also considered motorising a manual wheel, but that isn't going to happen any time soon.

James

Ha! Yes, that filter wheel looks good. That's the one that I was considering when thinking of the Atik CCD. Had a quick look at the Flea cameras - very tasty, but out of budget for me for this application I think. Top of the list at the moment is the USB 3 ZWO mono camera. It's dangerous when the weather is pants... Too much time to browse the Internet!

Yes I feel your pain, the rubbish weather is generally more expensive than the good! You're right about the PGR cameras though, whilst good, they tend to be on the pricier side, especially when you start throwing in filters, wheels, powermates etc :/ I haven't actually ever used mine for planetary stuff, only lunar and solar so now Jupiter is starting to get higher I'll have to give it a crack! Weather permitting the plan is to get it set up at SGLX for the eclipse, but fingers crossed for little cloud!

No problem with me at all, I think we're on pitches pretty close? I was going to beg you for an hour of your time anyway so I can tap up your knowledge on post processing! ;)

Yes, I think we are only one pitch from each other. Deal, I'll try and help with some post processing stuff. Looking forward to it all very much!

Archived