NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My new 'scope !!!

RWB

as previously stated  I was given a 'scope for Xmas by my son aCelestron Astromaster 130 EQ -MD

so I read the manual and set about rigging it up-so far so good.

All went well, polar aligned,and tried to slew to the moon which was east of south.And so the troubles started.  As I tried to rotate it it seemed to stick so I tried to rotate it the other way OH MY GOD a seemingly deafening crunch of plastic!! PANIC! kitchen light on! white torch on! glasses on! 

And there it was as the R.A. axis rotated  the mounting plate for the dovetail had done its best to de-mount the motor.  Back to the drawing board, checked the mounting of the motor (it came ready fitted)

Tried every which way including loose to be able to turn the R.A. 360 but was unable to , so came in and  sampled  a small Jack Daniels and a beer then quit for the night

Two days later:-Dug out my work brain (medically retired 13 years ago) dusted it off and 25 minutes later later had made a small bracket to correct the problem

only one question why did I have to do it  SURLY I am not the only one OR IS THIS THE RESULT  OF THE MISSING CLOUDS WHEN I OPENED THE BOX in the first place?? :grin:  :grin:  :eek:   

clear skies and happy new year to all

Robin

Robin, you might want to copy your question as a new thread over on the Beginners Section and in particular under 'Getting Started Equipment Help and Advice' as you are more likely to get a response than here on the welcome page. Posting there may also help others with the same kit as you appear to have found a practical solution.  :smiley:

Clear skies

Hi Robin welcome to S G L

Things like this do happen while you are learning this pastime, unfortunately 

scopes are not that strong, I over tightened one of the legs on my EQ2 tripod 

and snapped the plastic holder which meant a quick fix with tape, hope your

quick fix is ok, as the saying goes, "If all else fails, read the instructions."

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Robin, you might want to copy your question as a new thread over on the Beginners Section and in particular under 'Getting Started Equipment Help and Advice' as you are more likely to get a response than here on the welcome page. Posting there may also help others with the same kit as you appear to have found a practical solution.  :smiley:

Clear skies

I would love to move the post but my computer skills are VERY limited

If you could do it for me I would be very grateful !! :grin:  :grin:

regards &CS

Robin

Archived