Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar AP getting started guide?

kirkster501

Hi Steve,

With a suitable white light filter (either Baader solar film or one of the ready made filters) that sounds a perfect setup.  A Herschel wedge provides a little better image, as does the addition of a Baader Continnum filter or even (as I discovered recently) a Baader K Line (CaK) filter, but you can add these once you are bitten by the solar bug.

If solar becomes an addiction which only more exposure to the sun will provide then there is Hydrogen Alpha (Ha) which shows more detail than you thought possible, but comes at a cost.  Low cost (I use the term in it's relative sense) are a PST, Daystar Qaurk or new Lunt 50.  For more exotic bits of kit, it is best to be sitting down, look at Lunt 60, 80, Coronado 60 or Solarscope (any size).

Some folk on here only solar image, I do both solar and night time, but get about 5 images of the sun for every DSO/planet, it is that absorbing.  Oh, and the hours are more sociable as well.

Robin

Archived