NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How should i guide 80ED?

Hello!

Im buying my first AP tools and need some advice. Here's what I'm thinking:

-Skywatcher HEQ-5 Goto mount.

-Skywatcher 80ED PRO Scope for my DSLR.

-Skywatcher synGuider for guiding.(I've heard that this and celestrons nexguider are quite good option if guiding with PC is problem like in my case,(Snow everywhere))

or Orion Starshoot autoguider

And heres where I need you'r opinions. How should I connect the Synguider to scope without blowing my 2000-2200€ budget including shipping costs.

Should I use OAG or basic achromatic telescope with good tube clamps? 

Also I'm ordering the stuff from Astroshop.eu or Teleskop-Express.de due easier shipping to Finland.

All help and advices are most welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Personally I would get an ST80 and a Lodestar and run PHD2  (2nd hand for around £200 for the camera and far better than the others) and a firm mounting option for your scope ontop of your ed80, You could just attach the rings ontop of the rings on the ED80, its not the cheapest option however far better than a Synguider.

People talk about finder guiders but I have never had success out of one so I cant pass comment there.

I'm use a finder/guider (lodestar) with the Esprit 80's, works like a charm. The ST80 is good but I havn't used mine for a couple of years or so now with the shorter FL scopes.

I don't have experience of stand alone guiders though, if you dont want to use a laptop. I'd imagine the finder scope would be ok for them. At least worth trying first if you get it with the scope anyway.

Archived