Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW AZ4 v VIXEN PORTA 2

Solar_observer

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I waited for the short extension to come into stock but unfortunately that didn't happen so they shortened the longer type, all in all I waited a month. However, the Giro was available immediately and would have been here within a week :smiley:

No is the quick answer, you simply slide the dovetail backward or forward to suit :smiley:

My Equinox has a very short shoe type dovetail and I experience no issues, the Lunt has quite a long dovetail attached but I only use a couple of inches at most.

I use a mix of 2" and 1.25" diagonals, combined with a variety of eyepieces, and have never been in a position where I cant balance the set up. I must mention that I no longer have any monster size eyepieces :laugh:

The only balance issues I have had is when I have drunk too much of the beautiful red wine during solar observations  :grin:

Hi, and sorry to be late to the party ;-)

I have been using Giro mounts in various guises for quite a few years and am a big fan. So far I've had a mini giro, giro-WR, Giro II, Ercole and AYODigi. Currently I have the Giro-WR and Ercole.

Before buying my first, I had a Vixen Porta which was nice, but I always found myself just grabbing the scope to move it rather than using the slo mo controls which I found cumbersome. A giro style mount suits me perfectly.

Stability is largely dependent on the tripod I've found. Even the mini giro is very capable when on a decent tripod. Again, I've tried a variety of tripods: Berlebach 2022 Report, Redsnapper carbon fibre (can't remember which model but it was at the top of their range), Induro AT-413 and EQ6.

Cutting to the chase, the best is the EQ6 tripod or equivalent. The 2" steel legs give excellent stability and virtually eliminate vibration regardless of which of the mounts you use.

The Redsnapper I returned because it was just too wobbly, something I was very surprised about. It was fine until you tried to focus but then was quite unstable.

The Berlebach worked very well, damped vibrations well and warm to the touch.

Finally the Induro. This is a nice stable tripod and a good compromise on weight vs stability. I would put it above the Berlebach, particularly because it will extend very high which makes viewing at the zenith possible whilst standing. This is still my preferred tripod for travelling light, or a road. I do now favour the EQ6 tripod for all other times if I have the space and don't need to carry it anywhere.

Moving on to the mounts, as said, they are all very capable when used within their weight capacity. The tensioning on the mini giro can be a little 'on/off', meaning that balancing is more critical. All the others have more progression to the tensioning.

Looking at photos of my gear, it is clear that using my TV85 does require a counterweight with the mini giro, and probably the Giro-WR to get the smoothest movement, but this scope is probably over 5kg fully loaded. The 2.9kg should be easily handled without the counterweight.

As others have said, balancing is probably the most critical point. It is quite achievable by making sure you have room to adjust either on the dovetail or within the rings, shifting backwards or forwards.

The hardest imbalance to correct is when using large and long eyepieces. With these, obtaining balance near the zenith is near impossible without a further counter balance weight hanging under the front of the scope. This is not essential as you can tension the clutches down harder but it does make things easier and smoother.

After all that rambling, I would recommend the Giro-WR on an EQ6 or equivalent tripod. If you need more portability, a decent quality photo tripod will still do the job, particularly if you keep the height down but you will inevitably get more vibration than the 2" steel tripods.

One other benefit of the photo tripods is that their top plates are smaller than the EQ6 and you will likely have an extension pillar which will help avoid the scope clashing with the tripod legs when near the zenith.

Hope you can pick something useful out of that, feel free to ask for clarification on anything.

Cheers,

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow stu, thanks for that detailed help.

Been looking on Amazon for tripods and come up with this one f0d77bf4ef8b3fffee81324e2238604f.jpg would this do?

If it would and I were to buy the giro wr, is this all I would need? I don't really use the tripod I have extended, it's always collapsed when I use it. Is there any major benefit over using this system over the vixen?

See if I can help it, I don't really want to spend more than the cost of the vixen unless the giro system is substantially better?

Thanks

Wow stu, thanks for that detailed help.

Been looking on Amazon for tripods and come up with this one f0d77bf4ef8b3fffee81324e2238604f.jpg would this do?

If it would and I were to buy the giro wr, is this all I would need? I don't really use the tripod I have extended, it's always collapsed when I use it. Is there any major benefit over using this system over the vixen?

See if I can help it, I don't really want to spend more than the cost of the vixen unless the giro system is substantially better?

Thanks

I think that would be fine, particularly if you keep the tripod low. However, as Shane says, you can often pick up EQ6 tripods from people who have upgraded to piers, I have bought two, one was £60, the other £70 so this could say you some budget.

This decision depends upon how and where you intend to use the kit. If it is just being used at home, or even for taking in the car where lightweight or size packed down is less important then I would go for the EQ6 style.

If you want to be more mobile, or to take it away perhaps on holiday or walking then the photo tripod wins. I've been around the houses with any bits of kit but come back to things which I find easy and motivating to use. I've found that putting out the EQ6 is no more effort than the photo tripod really and the results are worth it. I keep the AT413 tripod for when space or weight make it the only option.

The Giro-WR comes with a Vixen clamp so that should be all you need.

As for whether it is better than the Vixen Porta II, that again comes down to personal preference to a degree.

Do you like slo mo controls? If so then the Vixen makes sense. The Giro-WR is more compact and I believe more stable, particular on the heavy weight tripod.

Have a bit more of a think about your preferences around these areas perhaps before making a final decision.

Stu

Skem,

if I had the choice again I would go straight for the steel tripod due to the advantages of vibration free observing and you wont have buy another one.

it is quite surprising how light they are when the hefty mount is removed, they are also pretty compact and will easily fit in the boot of a car or behind the sofa.

Shaun

Hmmmm lots of thinking too do. Thanks again guys and Shane for the offer.

The only reason I gave up on the az4 was pig saying the movement gets jerky and is hard to centre the sun. I suppose it's getting like that with the head of my horizon but the tripod is ideal for my needs. The ONLY scope I use on it is my lunt. I only use it around the garden and sometimes indoors, I won't be ever taking it any further. I was thinking a while ago even a better head for the tripod as it really does the job I need but it's just getting worn now. I will have a good think and see where I end up.

If you are happy with your existing tripod, how about keeping it and just getting the Giro-WR head which will be a huge improvement. It should fix onto the photo tripod easily.

You could then, if you feel the need, pick up a used 2" steel tripod EQ6 type) if you feel you need a bit more stability

Well I've ordered a mount for my Lunt 60 and its on its way, I will recieve it sometime today. It's the az4, I know what your all thinking "that was the one he least wanted" but I thought about cost and also thought its bound to be stronger and sturdier than the horizon tripod.

So I like to thank you for all your input and I look forward to using this mount :)

The AZ4 is a very strong, sturdy and smooth mount. Like using a dob, tracking objects is just a matter of practice but something you get very quickly good at. With a bit of care taken with balance the AZ4 can be very smooth and precise. Enjoy.

Archived