NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What is a billion ?

asset189

More like my kind of calculations, time for "a few" winks as its cloudy out. This old stargazing lark is best enjoyed for the sheer pleasure it provides , ill leave the more technical points to vulcans and the likes. By the way why do we only see one side of the moon ? He he thats one for an other wet night

Simples, because the mighty Pink Floyd have a monopoly on the other side. Amateur 'astrononomers' just can't afford the Royalty payments to view it.. ;)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Gravitationally locked' is the term, I think.

You may need to find another puzzle.....weather is looking bad!

aka 'Tidally locked'

Another puzzle then :

Why is 'our side' full of maria (aka lava seas ? ) whereas the other side is mostly just pock-marked with craters

The professionals are still puzzled over that one.

Hands up, who remembers the Sky@Night when the first pics of the backside came through thanks to the Russians, Patrick's eyes almost popped out !

aka 'Tidally locked'

Another puzzle then :

Why is 'our side' full of maria (aka lava seas ? ) whereas the other side is mostly just pock-marked with craters

The professionals are still puzzled over that one.

Hands up, who remembers the Sky@Night when the first pics of the backside came through thanks to the Russians, Patrick's eyes almost popped out !

Maybe because the side facing away from Earth has been more exposed to bombardment?

p.s. I think they call it 'The Dark Side' not 'The Backside'.......which was considerred too rude at the time :laugh:

p.s. I think they call it 'The Dark Side'

Ah! you spotted my little 'bon mot'  :)

Yes, differential bombardment is one.

There was also something about maybe there were two moons of different composition which merged. I thought a recent twin spacecraft gravity mission was going to look for this possibility but not sure what happened next ?

EDIT

I've just thought :

The different bombardment theory would require the moon to have been tidally locked for a really long time ? Way back 4 billion thousand million years to the Late Heavy Bombardment !?

Archived