Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New to Solar white light observing.

Brave Sir Robin

Hello, I recently received a baader solar filter for my 4.5 inch Newt.

I've had a quick squizz at Sol and a few sunspots, but it occurred to me - received wisdom for night time observing - does it all apply to Solar too?

For instance - is it best to observe the sun at its highest point, or is the atmosphere calmer close to dawn, and therefore clearer views of the sun to be had, despite the thicker atmosphere?

Also apart from sunspots, what other features am I likely to be able to see. I know that H-alpha is a different kettle of fish....

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Brave sir Robin ran away. Bravely ran away-away.

In general yes the same rules apply but in summer seeing is a lot better early on. That said you will usually be using modest magnifications. Ha observing is very different but white light has a beauty of its own.

You should see spots and pores, faculae and possibly surface granulation. It is quite addictive I find. Both kinds

I got my first view of the Sun today...trying out newly acquired Skymax 127.

I was given a solar filter with it and thought I'd give it a try.

Got set up, managed to get the Sun in view...saw loads more sunspots than I was expecting....for 30 seconds...... then the magic clouds rolled across!!

One tip I was given by the guy who sold me the scope....keep the finder scope covers on, just in case you accidentally glance through it.

Archived