NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQASCOM problem

Spoon

Hi everyone,

So I just got my HEQ5 (big grin) and it's great, but I just tried to download as load up EQASCOM and it came up for a split second l, went off, came up, went off repeatedly until I ended the process in task manager. Anyone know why this happened? And is there a cure. I redownloaded it and nothing changed.

Thanks

Cam

This sounds like a communication problem - if the mount is not switched on and connected correctly via a serial connection, you can expect the software to behave like this unless you call it from an ASCOM compatible program with the EQMod_Sim.Telescope connected. EQAscom is not a stand alone program.

Its not finding the mount the repeating is its attempts to connect, you have Ascom running and set-up and you have it connected via the handset or the adapter, the Com port will be the next thing to check, nothing wrong with the software....your get it working...:)

Its not finding the mount the repeating is its attempts to connect, you have Ascom running and set-up and you have it connected via the handset or the adapter, the Com port will be the next thing to check, nothing wrong with the software....your get it working...:)

Thanks will try it later. Going to the pub for a bit :)

Cam

Hi

It could be a power supply/connector problem. What are you using to power the mount? How are you connecting to the mount? What OS are you using?

You shouldn't need to open Ascom but you do need to configure the com port you're using in eqmod.

Louise

Edit: a loose usb connection can also cause problems...

Hi

It could be a power supply/connector problem. What are you using to power the mount? How are you connecting to the mount? What OS are you using?

You shouldn't need to open Ascom but you do need to configure the com port you're using in eqmod.

Louise

Edit: a loose usb connection can also cause problems...

Hi,

The power supply is the skywatcher supplied one, I'm connecting it using a serial adapter that has never failed me before on windows 7.

This sounds like a communication problem - if the mount is not switched on and connected correctly via a serial connection, you can expect the software to behave like this unless you call it from an ASCOM compatible program with the EQMod_Sim.Telescope connected. EQAscom is not a stand alone program.

so i just got home, opened ASCOM, no idea what anything means, do you have to type something in or what? have attached a pic of my screen.

post-22414-0-16549000-1418579493_thumb.p

To try out EQASCOM, you don't need to open ASCOM - it is a platform (and environment within an operating system) so you don't  need to open it.

I recommend that you download Cartes du Ciel or a similar ASCOM compatible planetarium program (you'll need one to control the mount anyway). Set up the 'telescope' option in the planetarium software to ASCOM and specifically, the 'EQMOD ASCOM SIMULATOR' driver. Then connect to the virtual mount which will invoke EQASCOM allowing you to test drive it without a mount attached.

Once you have this working with a virtual mount, connect your mount to the PC via the RS232 serial port having determined the serial port COM number. Then go back to your planetarium software and change the driver to 'EQMOD ASCOM EQ5/6' (from the Configure selection), click on 'Properties' and enter the correct COM port number.

Turn on the mount and connect to it from your Planetarium program. The EQMod control display should initialise.

To try out EQASCOM, you don't need to open ASCOM - it is a platform (and environment within an operating system) so you don't  need to open it.

I recommend that you download Cartes du Ciel or a similar ASCOM compatible planetarium program (you'll need one to control the mount anyway). Set up the 'telescope' option in the planetarium software to ASCOM and specifically, the 'EQMOD ASCOM SIMULATOR' driver. Then connect to the virtual mount which will invoke EQASCOM allowing you to test drive it without a mount attached.

Once you have this working with a virtual mount, connect your mount to the PC via the RS232 serial port having determined the serial port COM number. Then go back to your planetarium software and change the driver to 'EQMOD ASCOM EQ5/6' (from the Configure selection), click on 'Properties' and enter the correct COM port number.

Turn on the mount and connect to it from your Planetarium program. The EQMod control display should initialise.

ok will do, will stellarium work or is CDC better? i found CDC too clumed up and hard to find stuff.

cam

ok so i got the Virtual Scope to work, then tried to connect my mount to it, still in CDC, and it said it had timed out :/

cam

post-22414-0-05975700-1418582394_thumb.p

Are you connecting directly to the HEQ5 with an adaptor or are you connecting via the handset and a simple serial cable? If the latter, you need to set the handcontroller to PC Direct Mode.

Concentrate on using C du Ciel for now as it simply works - Stellarium, although pretty, can sometimes be a challenge to get working with EQMod.

You should get a Ascom box open up in CdC when you click the connect button (top row on the right) this has option to set-up what type of mount you have, there is a red button down the bottom with connect and disconnect either side of it, this turns GREEN when your connected.....

CdCScope.jpg

No it's from a company called KeySpan or something similar. Always worked before.

If its one of these connectors, its the wrong type....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-USB-RS-232-Serial-Adap/dp/B00425S1H8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1418588703&sr=8-3&keywords=keyspan+usb+serial+adapter

It needs to be one of these or the home made type....

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html

Are you connecting directly to the HEQ5 with an adaptor or are you connecting via the handset and a simple serial cable? If the latter, you need to set the handcontroller to PC Direct Mode.

Concentrate on using C du Ciel for now as it simply works - Stellarium, although pretty, can sometimes be a challenge to get working with EQMod.

it is going from laptop -> serial adapter -> hand controller -> HEQ5

will try and find PC direct mode...

IT WORKED! thanks :p right now for the learning of EQMod bit....

You should get a Ascom box open up in CdC when you click the connect button (top row on the right) this has option to set-up what type of mount you have, there is a red button down the bottom with connect and disconnect either side of it, this turns GREEN when your connected.....

CdCScope.jpg

thanks, Steve saying put it in PC direct mode made it work, thanks guys

Cam :)

As I am now using EQMOD, I downloaded the EQMOD(?) version of 'Stellerium Scope' from Welsh Dragon Computing. Using that, Stellarium was very easy to configure and use with the mount. Tried it for the first time last night. Ctrl / 0 to bring up the scope slew/sync control. Worked like a dream and I quickly managed to slew and sync on several Stars and save as N-points.

Stellarium stopped working once during the session and had to close. On re-opening, it started where it had left off, so no detrimental effects at all, the scope reticule was on the last target I had moved to and I just slewed to the next target.

Archived