SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Moon and Jupiter tonight

lonick

Just had a great hour and a half outside tonight.

I had to wait for the moon to come around from the building on the left but at approx 11pm it came out nice and clear. For the first time i was able to try both the stock 25mm and 10mm eyepieces on their own and again with the 2x barlow. After a bit of trial and error i just ended up with the 25mm for that wonderful full (well roughly half) moon image.

As time moved on, there came Jupiter, with the 25mm eyepiece i could see three of the moons, one far to the left and two quite close together on the right. With the 10mm I could see all four moons, (well the four Galilean moons) one was quite close on the right hand side. Some great detail on the planet itself the banding was quite prominent. 

It was quite special but i so need some time off work and some darker skys. I can't wait until Christmas and New Year.

Lovely report, Ionick and glad you had some time out :grin: The Moon did indeed look spectacular tonight. The Galiean moons you saw this evening were Callisto right out in deep space and then the three closer to Jupiter were Io, Europa and Ganymede at the back :smiley: I tried to view the red spot transit, but probably due to Jupiter's relative low declination, perhaps due to the Moon's glare, or even the seeing conditions, it was so faint tonight that even the 10" at a reasonable push of power could barely discern it from southern band. Last year, the great red spot was a lot more discernable, so I hope this season things improve a tad.

Look forward to your Xmas break and a few more reports on how you're getting along :grin:

Cool ! All we've got here is rain !

The Great Red Spot will probably disappoint this time around. The bump was well defined, but colour sadly lacking. It is however always a joy to observe the moons and the changes to the surface.

If you get the "Jupiter Moons " app. , it'll detail the transits and moon positions.

Nick.

You lucky you ! Here there is nothing but clouds and I haven't had the chance to look at jupiter since first light in october :/

Absolutely crystal clear sky's here in county Durham and after the scope being a dust collector in the loft (for a good year or so) and the thought of a meteor shower, I've dusted her down and like you I was not disappointed, its reignited a long forgotten flame! sad note is i have lost alot of eyepieces (probably given away at some point), but the moon in the only eyepiece i could find (25mm) had me grinning like a big child again, i also has a hazy look at Jupiter but the moons were all on show and stunning as ever....still no meteor sighting but my wallets twitching and i think a new scopes in order!

ive just ordered "Every Photon counts" so thats a good guess which route i fancy! :)

Archived