NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Images from modded dslr are saturated with red, is this normal?

Yes, completely normal as the camera is receiving more red light than it expects due to the removal of the filter so its normal colour balance is off. You could use a custom white balance to even it out but I find it useful as it is, it makes framing shots of nebulae easier as the Ha regions stand out more.

It does take a bit of getting used to, I think I got a bit of a shock when I first modded a camera. Have you full spectrum modded your camera? if so you might benefit from a cls ccd filter. these actually swing the colour balance into the blue, but they cut out the correct region of IR and LP to reduce starbloat and light polution gradient.

I could do with one myself :)

Oh dear, looks like you need to go shorter or drop the gain it's badly blown out there.

I expect the nebulosity will show nicely once the background is processed though.

TSED70Q, iOptron Smart EQ pro, ASI-120MM, Finepix S5 pro.

Ok just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong, lol.  My images are so redwashed its hard to find the object I am imaging after I take the first sub of whatever I am pointing at.

Get an AStronomik EOS clip in LP filter, that will restore almost perfect colour balance aswell as removing light pollution, this is what they are designed for, a modded camera, I was the same as you when my camera was modded, but after getting one of those filter the colour balance is pretty much perfect. Infact now with the filter fitted I can take daytime pictures and they come out pretty acceptable, this would be impossible without the filter.

I would assume you would need a LP filter where ever you are in the UK, although I may be corrected there...

This is all stated on the Astronmik site

Hope that helps

Here's a recent test I did. A 10 minute ISO 800 exposure with my Baader modded Canon 1100D and an Astronomik UHC Clip Filter. I live in a heavily light polluted area and the UHC filter allowed the 10 minute exposure to be only slightly brighter than a 5 minute exposure without the filter.

post-20257-0-89805300-1418322475.jpg

Archived