Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Zero image shift focuser Meade LX90

I've been away from astronomy for a couple of years, and just bought a new LX90. My last one had an electric focus motor, but I see these are either discontinued or very expensive, so, I am looking for alternatives.

I did see mention of a Crayford style unit that would fit onto the rear cell, do anyone use these and if I went down that route, what would I need? Would it also clear the mount when the ota is pointing straight up?

At present, I have a Revelation 2" diagonal ( screw in) on the back.

Allan

I use a Crayford style extra focuser on both of my 16" SCT's and find them essential, there is no clearance problem due to the size of the mounts but my 8"SE does not have enough clearance. You need a low profile version with a SCT fitting and preferably a 10:1 dual speed action.  :smiley:

Mine has a cheap Revelation Crayford. I find it good, though I don't image with the SCT, it's purely visual. I intensely dislike the moving mirro focus which was very vague and tended to have some lag in it, meaning focusing by pushing the mirror upwards was essential.

Olly

thanks Olly, mine is purely visual too, but i notice that the image shift when getting focus is the same as my original LX90 of many years ago, I would have thought they could have found a solution to the movement by now!

Anyway, I'm not doing anything at the moment, I discovered last night that I wasn't getting a GPS fix and checking the handbox today, I can't find an entry for the GPS in the utilities menu, even though the GPS unit is mounted on the fork arm.

Looks like it isn't being recognised. Just waiting for a call back from the retailer while they try and figure out whats wrong.

Allan

The GPS is not in the Utilities menu it's in the Setup menu. 

Setup.

Telescope.

GPS alignment.

The manual lists the Utilities menu and GPS should be in there. But, I did as you suggested, thank you, unfortunately, GPS alignment isn't there either.

I did read that if the GPS entry doesn't appear in the handbox menu, then it isn't being initialised.

Allan

Ahh what a pain for you!

It's in the Setup menu on my LX200. The only other option I can think of is if the GPS connector in the fork arm isn't pushed into it's socket enough. It's happened in the past but as it's a new scope probably better to let your supplier sort the issue.

I've been away from astronomy for a couple of years, and just bought a new LX90. My last one had an electric focus motor, but I see these are either discontinued or very expensive, so, I am looking for alternatives.

I did see mention of a Crayford style unit that would fit onto the rear cell, do anyone use these and if I went down that route, what would I need? Would it also clear the mount when the ota is pointing straight up?

At present, I have a Revelation 2" diagonal ( screw in) on the back.

Allan

I use a zero image shift focuser on my LX90 ans works a treat, but you will either need a seperate hand control for it, which can be bought for around £70 or the meade APM909 accessory port, which I have, but they are like rocking horse .... To het hold of, bit if you can then the focuser can be controlled from the scope handset, which is useful.

And yes the scope will swing straight trough the forks with the focuser and a diagonal fitted.

Hope that helps

:)

SS

In the box with the ota came a bag with a dongle in it called a Final Assembly APM dongle. Is this a cut down version of the APM909 module ( which I used to have 2 of! )

Allan

That is a cut down version, but that only gives you an autoguide ST4 port, and not a focuser port like the full APM909

Regards

SS

If you are getting slop on your focuser knob, I suggest you remove the end play by unlocking the knob with the small allen key supplied and tightening the knob by screwing it onto its shaft until the end play is removed.

I did this once a little after I bought the scope - several years ago.

The focus knob is quite firm, it's just the image that moves fractionally while obtaining focus. Anyway, I'm holding off on doing anything till I hear from the dealer about the gps issue. I am guessing it might need to go back to them to be fixed. Nothing I have done seems to get the gps unit to work or appear in the menus

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, scope went back to the supplier to be replaced/ upgraded to a new LX200 acf and I managed to get hold of a used Meade zero image focuser.

The handbox on the focusedr doesnt work, but that's ok because it will just plug into the LX200 base

So, new telescope arrived this afternoon, looks like I am fated to miss out on GPS because this one tells me there is no connection to the system board, so no GPS or LNT!

On a good note, the focuser works just fine!

This scope is being collected tomorrow for return to the supplier.

No scope over Christmas!

Allan

Quick update, scope went back to the supplier to be replaced/ upgraded to a new LX200 acf and I managed to get hold of a used Meade zero image focuser.

The handbox on the focusedr doesnt work, but that's ok because it will just plug into the LX200 base

So, new telescope arrived this afternoon, looks like I am fated to miss out on GPS because this one tells me there is no connection to the system board, so no GPS or LNT!

On a good note, the focuser works just fine!

This scope is being collected tomorrow for return to the supplier.

No scope over Christmas!

Allan

Wow, talk about bad luck, sorry to hear this

But like you say at least you got the focuser and it's working ok, one step forward two steps back. ....

Merry Xmas

SS

Wow, talk about bad luck, sorry to hear this

But like you say at least you got the focuser and it's working ok, one step forward two steps back. ....

Merry Xmas

SS

Decided to go for a refund on the LX200, I am off to another dealer today, feeling a bit disappointed with Meade, might have a look at the new Celestron CPC HD scopes if they have them in stock. Nice clear sky here last night and today, feels like I am missing out.

Allan

Had a call from the dealer yesterday, they are loaning me the original repaired LX90 over Christmas on a sale or return basis, so took the LX200 back and picked up the LX90

Set it up last night and everything works. It found a gps signal and went through easy align perfectly on the only two stars that were showing last night. Didn't get to look through it though as the clouds rolled in.

I'll probably keep this one, the LX200 was so much heavier!

Allan

Had a call from the dealer yesterday, they are loaning me the original repaired LX90 over Christmas on a sale or return basis, so took the LX200 back and picked up the LX90

Set it up last night and everything works. It found a gps signal and went through easy align perfectly on the only two stars that were showing last night. Didn't get to look through it though as the clouds rolled in.

I'll probably keep this one, the LX200 was so much heavier!

Allan

That's great news, got a scope now over the holidays at least.

The LX90 is a great scope, and you will be able to use the focuser, mind you, you will need a handset now for it, as the LX90 won't have the focuser port on the base like the LX200 did.

But at least you have a fully working scope

:) :)

SS

Thanks, I picked up a "Revelation" handset that replaces the Meade one. It works perfectly with variable adjustable speed control. Much better than the original.

Just need a break in the clouds tonight......

Allan

Archived