panasonic NV- MX1

People use all sorts of cameras to shoot down the eyepiece including smart phones, point and shoot and whathaveyou, you can give it a go, even video and stacking that bright moon (if it pops out again in the next few days) may give you an idea of the process.  Replacing the eyepiece - as most ccd's, dslr's and webcams are used, would be difficult with a camcorder but I like to be surprised.

Unless you can remove the camcorder lens, which is unlikely, you will need to use the afocal method, that is, to connect the camcorder to an eyepiece. Adaptors to achieve this have been available in the past, it's a question of getting one to suit your particular camera. Once set up you should be able to get excellent lunar and planetary images, I've done this in the past with a Canon miniDV camcorder.  :smiley:

A possible problem with removing camcorder lenses is that they are just part of the overall system working in conjunction with other internal optical components. Unlike a DSLR where you just remove the front lens, add an adaptor and away you go.  :smiley:

I would be tempted to just hold the camcorder against or just off the eyepiece, see if you can record what you have been seeing with the Mk1 eyeball 30 seconds before,  before you start spending money on adapters and not being happy with the results,  handy thing is the results will be instant but unlike a dslr/webcam you may not have a wide range of settings to use - exposure time, gain, etc.   Have fun.

Archived