Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

It's time to go Mono. Help please?

Iainp

USB3 success seems to be very dependant on computer / driver combo getting along ATM.

Thanks Iain for posting Ruperts reply, he did explain all that to me recently at Herstmonceux but it was after lunch (some of it liquid) so it didn't sink in far enough to get retained :)

Still tempted by Skyris 274 to get a full disc on the LS60 unless there's another make with the same sensor/ USB3

Dave

Forgot to mention I have the B/Fly GigE and quite happy with it

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Near the top,  someone mentioned that someone had a Skyris 273m - thats me.

I find it fairly easy to use and reliable.  Its 1600 x 1200 so I need fewer mosaic panels than my older DMK41.

I get at least 20 fps at full resolution with USB3 attached to a MacBook Air running in PC mode.

Still tempted by Skyris 274 to get a full disc on the LS60 unless there's another make with the same sensor/ USB3

I believe ZWO have said on their mailing list that they're working on an ICX274-based camera.

James

Near the top,  someone mentioned that someone had a Skyris 273m - thats me.

I find it fairly easy to use and reliable.  Its 1600 x 1200 so I need fewer mosaic panels than my older DMK41.

I get at least 20 fps at full resolution with USB3 attached to a MacBook Air running in PC mode.

You don't even need Windows to use the Skyris 274 on a Mac now :)

James

Thanks for that info James, been trying to port astro stuff to the Mac. 

Dave

I think the mono camera will work with the current oaCapture release on OSX.  The colour version might need to wait for the release I'm about to make (somewhat belatedly).  I'd be pleased to know about any problems.

James

Hi all

Just seen this thread and very interesting it is too!

I own and use a Skyris 274 (as well as a DMK31 mono) for my solar work.

You do need a fast computer to handle the huge data input during capture but the fastest possible speed I have ever managed was 20fps

However I find that high frame rates is not the whole answer to getting a good image. Someone mentioned that correct exposure is better than frame rate and I agree, judging from  my results.

I'd also like to state that the 274m is an awesome Lunar camera! - I've taken my best Moon images using one.

It has a large FOV because of the large chip so is ideally suited for Lunar/Solar surface shots. USB3 is welcome and I believe the Skyris range were among the first to go over to USB3.

Yes the Skyris 274 is expensive but with the large chip, cooling fins and USB3 capability it is a great performer.

Just my two pennies worth

Madjohn

Hi all

Just seen this thread and very interesting it is too!

I own and use a Skyris 274 (as well as a DMK31 mono) for my solar work.

You do need a fast computer to handle the huge data input during capture but the fastest possible speed I have ever managed was 20fps

However I find that high frame rates is not the whole answer to getting a good image. Someone mentioned that correct exposure is better than frame rate and I agree, judging from  my results.

I'd also like to state that the 274m is an awesome Lunar camera! - I've taken my best Moon images using one.

It has a large FOV because of the large chip so is ideally suited for Lunar/Solar surface shots. USB3 is welcome and I believe the Skyris range were among the first to go over to USB3.

Yes the Skyris 274 is expensive but with the large chip, cooling fins and USB3 capability it is a great performer.

Just my two pennies worth

Madjohn

Thanks for the info John, can see a  Skyris 274 in my future once the credit card recovers :)

Dave

Archived