NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HOTECH Advanced CT Laser Collimator

FLO

hotech-ct-collimator-concept-large.jpg

The HOTECH Advanced CT Laser Collimator enables precise collimation of Schmidt Cassegrain telescopes in daylight.

Launched back in 2010 it has proven a successful and popular product, particularly amongst astronomy societies, schools and universities.

It is also highly regarded by everyone who has reviewed it including Robert Naeye, Tom Trusock and Craig Stark. 

"There is a tremendous amount of creativity and cleverness being displayed, all backed by a fervent devotion to making the sky more accessible and enjoyable for astronomy enthusiasts at all levels. It is truly inspiring."
by Robert Naeye, Sky & Telescope Editor in Chief
"This is a very clever device.  By using three perfectly aligned laser beams it simulates the parallel rays coming from a distant star.  The beams then pass through the telescope twice to amplify any error in the entire system making even small miscollimation errors readily seen and fixed.  David's done his homework on this one, coming up with a very ingenious answer to daytime collimation of an SCT."  
Craig Stark, Ph. D. Associate Professor and Founder of Stark Labs & PHD Guiding 
And this month BBC Sky @ Night magazine's Paul Money has awarded it their maximum five-stars. 

S@N-FL114_5-Star.jpg

I've got one and was pretty impressed with it for setting up in the daytime with out having an artificial star miles away!

This can be done in a confined space.

You do need to have a sturdy tripod/mount for the "Target" as you don't want it wobbling when you walk about. I fixed mine on a mounting to the Obsy wall & aligned the scope to it on the mount. Takes a bit to get it square on at first but once you've done it a couple of times it's pretty straight forward.

I have looked at one of these a good few times and whilst I am sure they are very good and I can't say I don't want one but they are expensive for what is to me a fairly easy collimation operation. I always wonder if the tiny inaccuracy that I am sure there must be in my SC scope really makes so much difference visually. I guess they would do the Maksutov 180mm as well. Maybe one day.

Alan.

Archived