Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AstroPhotography with AZ EQ6 , 250PDS and Canon 5D Mark iii....

Hey All,

I am novice with Star glazing, don't even have a binocular so for and I have only seen the cosmos with naked eye and television so far . I am planing to by my very first Telescope , Mount and Camera for Astrophotography and start glazing.

I have saved for the last 4 years and sold my holidays in return for money for this. (this means a loooooot to me..) I don't want to buy some thing and feel for it later,so I want to go for the best I can afford.   (I will happily wait long and save more and buy better one than other way round that's me)Enough said....

My first question.

I have almost made my mind for AZ EQ6 Mount.  I understand with AZ mount I can't use it for Astro photography but I also read in Steve Richard review that AZ EQ6 mount is better for Astrophotography because its much more quieter... Is it still worth the extra 400 pounds when compared with NEQ6?

My Second question.

Can AZ EQ6 handle 250PDS for imaging?  I understand the 250PDS weighs 15 KG, Which is the maximum weight allowed for the AZ  EQ6 for imaging.  If that is the case what will happen If I load my camera on top of that. A Decent camera weighs around 1 KG.

So 250PDS + Camera will weight around 16 KG in total. So 1 KG more (16 KG in total) than recommended imaging load for AZ EQ6 (15 KG for imaging)  will it cause a problem in wind for Astro photography? Or would it be better to stay with 200PDS  which is only 12  KG.

My Third and final question.

Would Canon 5D Mark ii be a better choice then Nikon D 810 or Canon 7D Mark ii for astro photography?.

Or would you recommend a different one. (I don't have any camera or lens with me so I can go either way which ever suits Astro Photography)

Thanking you in advance.

Andromeda

The AZ EQ6 will handle a 250PDS, a Canon 600D will be fine for AP......you will also need a Coma Corrector, Baader do a nice one.....also a Interval Meter for longer than 30 second exposures.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ramozz-intervalometer-remote-shutter-Camera/dp/B00C1C0WQC/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1417380485&sr=8-10&keywords=canon+remote+control

If this is your first foray into astrophotography you might want to have a rethink on your scope choice. The 250pds has quite a long focal length which is far from ideal for a beginner.

If you want a reflector the 130pds would be a better choice but my choice (and many others) would be a Skywatcher 80ED refractor.

Large apertures and long focal lengths are not your friends when starting out.

I am not really into AP but there is a section further down the forums which may be better for advice on this subject. Not that you wont get help here but maybe you will get better in the right area of forum.

Only reason i say this is i never go there and stick to visual areas, there may be others like me into AP with the same mind as I who might miss this.

My first question.

I have almost made my mind for AZ EQ6 Mount.  I understand with AZ mount I can't use it for Astro photography but I also read in Steve Richard review that AZ EQ6 mount is better for Astrophotography because its much more quieter... Is it still worth the extra 400 pounds when compared with NEQ6?

My Second question.

Can AZ EQ6 handle 250PDS for imaging?  I understand the 250PDS weighs 15 KG, Which is the maximum weight allowed for the AZ  EQ6 for imaging.  If that is the case what will happen If I load my camera on top of that. A Decent camera weighs around 1 KG.

So 250PDS + Camera will weight around 16 KG in total. So 1 KG more (16 KG in total) than recommended imaging load for AZ EQ6 (15 KG for imaging)  will it cause a problem in wind for Astro photography? Or would it be better to stay with 200PDS  which is only 12  KG.

Thanking you in advance.

Andromeda

The AZEQ6 & 250PDS is a combination I'd be happy with (as a non-begginer) but maybe the 200PDS would be less of a handfull? You'll also need to allow for the extra weight of an autoguider camera and guide scope at some point. I don't believe you can do successful long exposure astrophotography without an autoguider. A lot of people advise starting with an ED80 refractor but these are frustratingly slow on anything but the brightest subjects especially if working with a DSLR. If you go down the Newtonian route another essential are good mirror collimation tools.

This hobby is a money pit.....

The AZEQ6 & 250PDS is a combination I'd be happy with (as a non-begginer) but maybe the 200PDS would be less of a handfull? You'll also need to allow for the extra weight of an autoguider camera and guide scope at some point. I don't believe you can do successful long exposure astrophotography without an autoguider. A lot of people advise starting with an ED80 refractor but these are frustratingly slow on anything but the brightest subjects especially if working with a DSLR. If you go down the Newtonian route another essential are good mirror collimation tools.

This hobby is a money pit.....

Money black hole in my case  :grin:

Take the advice above but regarding a DSLR be aware that the cameras you have suggested have a full size chip and therefore it can be more of a challenge to achieve a full flat field, particularly with a reflector scope. I'm not saying it can't be done as there are some great contributors on here showing the power of a full size chip but for a beginner it puts other hurdles in your way. As Tinker says the 600D is a great starting point (see my Flickr page for old photos with this camera) and you can get it Astro modded too if you wish later.

Archived