NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Refractor Choice

Hi Folks,

I have decided that one can waste a lifetime browsing and comparing specs, so as life is short, what would YOU choose for a refractor on a goto mount if you had a budget of (edited: "around" 2.5k)

I do like the look of the Williams Optics kit and the Skywatcher stuff (why do they quote "apo" with a two element objective?)

In addition, has anyone any experience with the zoom eypieces (I am aware they are not going to be as good as individual ones, but does the lack of performance outweigh the convenience for general gazing?)

All advice treated with utmost confidentiality....

Cheers

Harry

Hi Harry,

There are plenty of good APO's around with doublet lenses - the William Optics scopes and the Skywatcher ED's are the real mcoy :wink:

Personally I would not bother with the GOTO and would put the money saved towards more aperture.

If I was buying new then a WO FLT110 on an WO EzTouch Alt-Az mount would do nicely :)

If it was 2nd hand then I'd be trying for a WO FLT132 :) :)

Not a zoom fan myself so others can advise on that front.

Cheers,

John

Locally a WO FLT 110 retails at £2030.00 including a 2" Dialectric Carbon Fibre Diagonal. An HEQ-5 (not Goto) will cost £379 which would leave you £91 for eyepieces.

I have the WO 8-24 Zoom and the SW 7-21 both of which I use regularly........ excellent for Luna observing.

Cheers

CW

why do they quote "apo" with a two element objective?

Oh that's a bag of worms that's been argued many times! As John has said, there's plenty of ED doublets that are the business including Skywatcher's and William Optics.

Anyhoo, I know it's not a refractor but if I had £2.5k to spend on a set up, it'd be a Intes Micro MN76 7" Mak-Newt on an EQ6 PRO mount. APO like performance with more aperture and a wider field than a refractor of the same price.

Tony..

In order of desirability, my recommendation would probably be -

1) Used Televue NP101 - http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1749

2) Tak TSA 102 - http://www.astromart.com/articles/article.asp?article_id=543

3) Stellarvue SV4 - http://www.altairastro.com/stellarvue.htm

All of the above would be fine on an HEQ5 Pro, no need for an EQ6 with 4" of glass. Any change would go on a TV Ethos. That would be a set-up to last a lifetime.

Some careful shopping around on the "pre-loved" sites should come up with something in the next month or so.

2 elements can be "APO" if they are figured correctly and are of a long enough focal length - my TV102 is a doublet and in critical side-by-side tests with my friend's NP101, we saw no false colour in either scope. Maybe we would from the top of Mauna Kea, but not from our observing site! Those Antares 100mm f15 scopes are technically achromats, but the focal length (1500mm) pretty much kills off any chromatic abberation.

I was hesitant to go down the zoom eyepiece route after reading of peoples experiences with "generic" 8 - 24mm brands, but I have to say that my Nagler 3-6 mm is in a completely different league. It is as good - not nearly, but equally - as my previous high power set up (4.8mm + 7mm Naglers), and tons more convenient. OK, so the field is only 50 deg., but for planetary/lunar and double star use, that's all you need.

Regards, Dave.

Gosh folks,

What choices!! I thought this was going to be easy!!

Spacemonkey: Thanks for those links. V nice kit indeed. Also your comments re zoom ep. Will probably get one as well as single ep's - handy for the kids to use I suspect - less to drop too!

CW: At the moment I am minded to get the WO 110 FLT/HEQ5 Pro/zoom + 4 singles ep's. At least they can all be got from a single source...how do uk dealers take to haggling?

Whiplash: Thanks for that link to the MN76 - looks nice but I think a bit too cumbersome. I fancy something that fits in a box for easy(ish) transport. V Nice though.

Cheers

Harry

CW: At the moment I am minded to get the WO 110 FLT/HEQ5 Pro/zoom + 4 singles ep's. At least they can all be got from a single source...how do uk dealers take to haggling?

Harry,

I think deals can be had but you need to talk to the dealers personally to work things out. I know that First Light Optics do offer discounts on some items to SGL members with 10 posts or more. Give them a ring and see if they can help you :afro:

John

Steve, thanks for that. I am looking for a short focus refractor at the moment - I am an observer, not into imaging (yet??). Am as yet undecided whether to go APO or cheapo.

Not quite sure of the relevence of this to Harry's orginal post :afro:

Why not start a new thread ? - you can also ask about suppliers who will deliver to Spain as well then :D

John

I do like the look of the Williams Optics kit ...

If I was buying new then a WO FLT110 on an WO EzTouch Alt-Az mount would do nicely :afro:

Harry, will you be at Kelling?

James and I will be there with the above setup. We will also be using a HEQ5 PRO. You are welcome to come take a look :D

Archived