Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Leeds

Tonk

Hi Chris - you near Grantley/Kirby Malzeard?   I've noticed the sky glow is going from orange to a whiter colour to the east over the last year - so that's Ripon changing the lights! Not sure if that's good or bad really

Nice to meet all the N Yorks folks! (Hi Mike) And no one has complained about my rain-maker scope - phew! - (just the lights ;)

They haven't started yet i don't think but its imminent.  I'm just S of Ripon.  Its usually a Mag 5 sky from here.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks all for the fine welcome

Further my bio - I've been doing astrophotography for 10 years now with a small TV85 APO - the move to the ASA fast Newt will prob but me a long way back down the snakes and ladders board as there is far more to do that just point and focus. Collimation is a whole new game for me and its a bit daunting at present espec with my eye probs

Hi John - not cataracts - I've keratoconus - its normally well corrected with some very expensive contact lens (I have to go to Jimmys* twice a year to have them checked) - the only thing that tells me that I have the eye problem is very bright sharp points of light - so laser spots are distorted into fantastic wheels and caustic curves making collimation a pig ugh. I've got a partial solution by setting up a small binnocs in front of the scope - that magnifies the spot image on the target so I can make out the true laser spot from the laser show that surrounds it. Only problem is the collimation screws are at the other end of the scope and very fiddly - all 9 of them. Too much running around. I'm thinking a webcam on the binns and a laptop round the back of the scope might be the way to go ..... anyway I'll discuss this in the proper place if I make progress.

* St James

Archived