Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help with scope to buy

Hi

Looking to buy a scope, after loking through these forums and also the scope websites, there is a lot to take in and a lot to offer, just want to make sure I buy the right one.

Looking to use for planetary observation, deep space etc

Looking to spend no more than £250, also looking to get a scope that's quick to set up and use, so I've been looking at ones that easily find and can observe planets, nebulae, star clusters etc.

The ones I've been looking at are  -

Skywatcher Explorer 130P SupaTrak AUTO

Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145P SynScan AZ GOTO

Skywatcher Explorer 130P SynScan AZ GOTO

But still not sure, if people know any better then please let me know. The main things I'm looking at is good aperture for the price, definitely ease of use as I don't get the free time I want

Any help would be much appreciated !

Hi Thrax30, I would say one of the 130P's would serve you best, as both have more aperture than the 1145P.  Do you really want to spend money on electronics as if you get a manual scope you'll get better aperture and a more powerful scope?  This one for example is a very popular scope and within your budget, and gives you good power: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html

Hi

Thanks for the advice so far, taking it all onboard.

I've looked at the Dob and the only issue I have is the size as I do have storage issues, although the scope sounds near perfect for me I don't know if the size is feasible though, but will have a think about it.

OK, then if I do away with the electronics and go manual, what other scope/s do you recommend for about £200?

OK guys, thanks for all your help so far, the majority opinion seems to be a Dob, so I think I'm heading towards the 150P, wil pick up a Telrad and Turn Left at Orion.

What eye pieces do you recommend? And anything else?

The Supatrak is really mid way and sort of misses the mark, it will track an object but you still have to locate the object and get it in view. Which leaves either goto.

The 130P is then the obviuos choice, simply bigger aperture.

Any scope will want a couple or three or four eyepieces eventually and a newtonian will need a collimator - all extra cost sooner or later.

A manual dobsonian will give you a bigger aperture, but you do have to find objects and keep then in view. Not always easy for everyone, and objects will not fly into your view the first night. Also means that you do have to have a have an idea of what to go look at (otherwise it ends up the same things night after night) and where they are. Seen a ferw post that end up asking what next after the have exhausted a few obviuos objects.

If you can locate one get along to a local club on an open/public night and take a look at what they use.

Everybody in the beginning usually starts with low power views of DSO, and high power views of planets and moon.

The eyepieces that come with the scope are fine to start with, but you will want a decent quality wide field low power and high power eyepiece, plus a barlow to maximise their use.

Others more familiar with eyepiece prices in the UK will surely chime in, but for the moment, with the Telrad and Turn Left at Orion, your budget has been maxed.

When budget permits, let us know. We are all good at spending other people's money!!!!!!!

What eye pieces do you recommend? And anything else?

Go with the stock eyepieces for now (that was the advice i was given.) You can run about and spend a fortune now or you can walk about and spend a slightly smaller fortune in a few weeks.

Thanks again for the advice, still not sure with regards to the Dob, I live in an apartment so storage is difficult.

If I could push my budget I could possibly get -

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-eq3-2.html

Which might suit me better

Actually has a much larger footprint, takes longer to set up and the EQ mount is unnecessary for visual. The Dob is the best proposition based on your budget and space constraints to maximise what you can get out of your purchase.

I live in an appartment in a converted warehouse so all gazing is done away from home, so it sounds like you will have the same type of problems as me. I've ended up going for the;

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-az4-mount.html

you could do something like on the £250 budget;

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel/skywatcher-startravel-120-az3.html

This would also save on buying a collimator

Hi, can you tell me the difference between these two -

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130m.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-130p.html

and which is the better? I have a friend with a smaller budget who is looking to get his first scope

Different focal ratios.

One is 900mm and the other is 650mm.

Practically, you can achieve larger field of views with the same eyepiece with the 650mm.  But the 900mm will give you higher magnifications with the same eyepiece.

The 900 will be easier on eyepieces though. Easier to collimate as well.

But I would still go with the Dob.

Archived