Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Televue Planetary Filter Feedback?

scarp15

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night I set up the VX14 to cool and returned much later at around 3.30am with a primary aim to use the planetary filter. The seeing was very good, Jupiter was concealed by my chimney stack so I enjoyed viewing the Beehive Cluster for a time. At appox 4am Jupiter was high approaching the South and I focused on it with my 26mm T5 nagler (71x). I was pleased that since using a parracor, it has somewhat sharpened the moons into nice crisp disks.  I was also testing my aperture mask and was pleased at its performance in gaining contrast particularly with medium and low power e.p's. It was interesting to see the outer moons in transit between themselves, the GRS was visible as where some indications of the Temperate belts and polar regions. I next used my 16mm nager T5 (115X). I could discern features quite distinctly and was eager to try the filter to see how it might tone in these profile features. 

This is where I received a shock. The view I received was a very striking pink salmon colour, indeed out of focus, Jupiter looked like a blob of pink bubble gum. I recollected comments made by others to this effect. When in focus the northern temperate belt was a little sharper and the great red spot was slightly more accentuated. 

Following this shock, I quickly became aware that actually when the focus was sharp and my eye had fully adjusted, the strong colour seemed to fade out and was replaced by a tone. I then increased the power and used my 10mm delos (184X). Again I looked first without the filter, as my eye adjusted to the glare I could discern the same now familiar features, I applied the filter and once more, initially there was that shock of salmon pink, then it settled down and was again replaced by a tone which enhanced the image. I then switched to my 8mm ethos (230X). The glare was more apparent, when I applied the filter the image was transformed considerably for the better! I was now accustomed to the reaction that the filter produced, yet increasing the magnification seemed to provide a quality image with the filter in place. The image I got was very satisfying, kind of almost 3D as the polar regions appeared to become more shaded in. I stayed with this view and relaxed into seated observing until just after 5am. 

I can only conclude that certainly with larger apertures and using high power, this filter kicks in, enhancing the image of Jupiter. My only regret on this occasion was not having a 6mm ethos at hand!

Archived