Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope advise please.

Thanks Damnut for your reply , hopefully one last post on camera connection , i would need a suitable t ring ,and a t ring adapter ,preferably a variable one , in which the eye pieces / barlows could be placed inside , then connect to the respective scope ? Is there anything i am missing ?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello again folks , talk about confusing , I've been getting some advise from a scope outlet here in the UK , and they have said that they recommend the skywatcher evo star 90 , but this has an aperture of f10 whereas my other two choices were both f5 , they say that the evo would give better results , I was led to believe more aperture is better ! Feedback greatly appreciated , thanks

Hi guys. We fairly new to star gazing and we want to buy a reflector telescope. The whole family is really excited and can't wait for the equipment, but we need advice. There are to models that we are looking at that sewms to be both good. The one is the Orion starblast 4.5 reflector telescope and the other is the Celestron Astromaster 130EQ equatorial telescope. Both is in the priced right range for us but we can't decide on which one to go with. If I understand correctly aperture size is an important factor. Any advice please?

To try and help the last two posts:---

1. Firstly Kayvee62... If you are going to start astrophotography, then you are heading the wrong way. The mount is so important, then the scope so unless you have deep pockets, keep it simple first. The shop advising you on an F10 refractor is heading you down the wrong route. Please invest in a copy of 'making every photon count' before spending hard earned cash. Else come along to a meet of your local astro group so that you can see what other folk have and what may suit you best... If you are in the east midlands look for east midlands stargazers. :-- http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/ ....

2. Kingkenn - Welcome to SGL, ok both goodish starter scopes, if your budget and the rand can stand it try and get the 150 model. It'll give you just that extra bit of apperture whilst not stretching your budget too much. Try and keep some cash to get a couple of extra ep's when you can as the ones supplied are not brilliant.  Download a planetarium program, lots out there but Stellarium is great and free! To be found here  :-- http://www.stellarium.org/ a copy of 'turn left at orion' and 'sky & telescope pocket star atlas' will help you round the sky. Also as above try and get to a local astro club meet before parting with hard earned cash, this will enable you to have a look through  others kit too!

Good luck in your choices folk.

Hi Kingkenn, welcome, you would be better staring a new thread for your help to your questions :)

@KAYVEE82.

The Evostar 90 being f10 will have far less chromatic aberation and will take high magnification so planets and the Moon can be homed in on more. But it wont give a lovely wide field views of the Startravel which is f5 but the Startravel will show more CA.

Why not read some review of the Evostar and see how that feels.

I have a Startravel 80 and really like it and have read a great review of the ST102mm. (the 120mm would be too big and heavy for me)

More questions sorry , would the Orion 120 St accessories fit the skywatcher 120 travel and visa versa , I've taken the advise posted and I've added the book "making every photon count" to my Christmas list , and I will not buy anything until I've read this , although I will still keep looking and hopefully learning ,and hopefully posting queries !

They are probably out of the same factory!. In essence the accessories will fit either, but if you are going down the imaging route then the mount is paramount (!). You can mitigate some of the CA that you will get with the 120, and there have been some stunning images produced wth its baby brother the st80. The hardened imagers  (i am not) would probably point you towards an ED80 or a  similar small apo refractor.

I wold suggest you spend some time in the hobby before comitting to a large outlay

I have the ST120 on an AZ4 and it is a great G&G scope. Good on widefield and I bought a croma buster for it which does help on objects like the moon.

The stock 10 & 25mm ep's are just about OK but I also have a Baader Zoom which I like to use with it and the Baader works well withing the limitations of the scope.

Good morning guys. I have done a lot of homework and it all came down to the celestron astromaster 130 eq because the price gives me that bit more aperture. I have also decided to get some extras with ot but for starters I want to get a barlow. Any suggestions on what barlow will suit this scope well?? Thanx for all your help sofar. By the way I am from South Africa

Hello again , I'm sticking to my guns and not buying until I've read the book as posted previously , but I still can't stop looking at equipment and accessories , so let's say I go for the skywatcher 120 startravel , I'm looking for advice on -

1- 2x 1.25 Barlow

2- t-ring adapter ( I noticed celestron do one combined with a Barlow )

3- moon filter

4-solar filter ( I don't like the look of the ones with the foil/paper )

5- carry case

I'm not necessarily looking for cheap, but an equal balance of reasonable cost /quality .any feedback would be great thanks

Archived