Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Guiding

Having an HEQ5 PRO Syntrek , do I need to replace the handset to autoguide as does the guide system rely on an handset to send signals to the mount? or is there a more direct route to use without handset

No you do not need to replace the handset, you can autoguide using EQMOD, EQASCOM  and a suitable ST4 cable .

A.G

You plug the auto guider cable into the auto guide ST4 port, the socket on the far right of the control panel on the mount. So you leave the handset plugged in as normal, with its full functionality.

As an aside, you can use the handset to connect a PC with EQMod to the mount and control it from the PC. A brilliant system that I would highly recommend.

Hi

Yeah you need either a PC Eqdirect serial to usb cable with RJ45 connector plugged into the hand controller port for eqascom pulse guiding, else an ST4 cable connected to the autoguide port. Of course, you need a usb 2.0 cable for the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX2uXMu0crw&feature=BFa&list=PLBB117AE85EB6BF04&index=17

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/blog/eqmod-controlling-the-heq5-neq6-and-other-mounts-directly-from-a-pc.html

http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/docs/EQASCOM_Guiding.pdf

Louise

You plug the auto guider cable into the auto guide ST4 port, the socket on the far right of the control panel on the mount. So you leave the handset plugged in as normal, with its full functionality.

As an aside, you can use the handset to connect a PC with EQMod to the mount and control it from the PC. A brilliant system that I would highly recommend.

I am guiding atm with a webcam plugged into the pc , would the guide  info be transmitted through the usb EQ Direct  interface, if so then the hanset will need to left out of the equation?

I am guiding atm with a webcam plugged into the pc , would the guide  info be transmitted through the usb EQ Direct  interface, if so then the hanset will need to left out of the equation?

There are three ways in to the mount; through the handset, through an eqdirect cable or through the st4 port. So if you use the eqdirect cable you wouldn't use the handset. If you don't have an eqdirect cable you can use a usb to rs232 adapter and the cable that came with the mount into the handset, set to PC Direct mode in the utilities menu.

Good luck!

There are three ways in to the mount; through the handset, through an eqdirect cable or through the st4 port. So if you use the eqdirect cable you wouldn't use the handset. If you don't have an eqdirect cable you can use a usb to rs232 adapter and the cable that came with the mount into the handset, set to PC Direct mode in the utilities menu.

Good luck!

Just to clarify, you can't use a eqdirect cable with the Syntrek Handset, only with the Synscan one. So, yeah with the eqdirect cable, there's no place for the Handset anyway. Not sure about guiding with a webcam - I reckon you'd need dark skies and bright stars!

Louise

Archived