Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mount Hub Pro and SX USB filter wheel

Earl

My USB SX Filter wheel works perfectly fine when plugged directly into my laptop, but if plugged into my mount hub pro nothing.

I also have plugged into the mount hub pro an EQDIR, Atik 314 and Lodestar without any issues, but the wheel (which draws power via the USB) just does not want to know.

Any thoughts?

Earl,

I can't offer anything earth shattering and don't know if this is similar to your experience but every time I turn on my computer I can hear my SX filter wheel go round, so the pc sees the FW through the MHP at this point. By the time i am ready to open Maxim it is as dead as a dead thing so I have to remove and reconnect the usb cable at the filter wheel end (not the MHP) and after anything up to 10 seconds it whirrs and I can open Maxim. It always connects through a direct usb port and remains connected. I have tried every MHP configuration I can think of and nothing makes a difference (and ccd works fine through the same usb!).

No idea why, and there may well be a much better solution but It has done this so often now it is just part of the routine. Possibly similar? 

I've just tried mine directly connected to a PC, via an external unpowered USB2 hub and via an external powered USB3 hub.  It appeared to work fine in all cases.

Does the wheel spin up to initialise and then stop, or does it never work at all?

James

That's very odd.  There are no common components (other than the filter wheel itself) -- cables etc. -- in the configurations where it doesn't work?

If you've tried different laptops that seems to rule out drivers and the laptop itself.  Are the laptops running the same OS?  As I've just discovered slightly to my own cost in a different context, the SX filter wheel should appear as a USB HID and Windows at least should load drivers for it automagically.  Perhaps it would be worth looking to see whether the Device Manager shows different things when the wheel is plugged in directly compared with when it's plugged in through the hub.

James

The SX wheel needs just about all of the 500mA supplied by a proper USB port in order to reset and initialize. So, the hub in question needs to be powered. Mine does not work with an unpowered hub, but powered ones get it going alright. 

/per

Archived