Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

And a faint prom (?) from today too

Iainp

After playing around with the 2 decent proms today I was pleased to find more of interest by boosting the exposure much further.  I don't even know if these faint structures are actually called prominences or not!

post-9374-0-02618700-1414882169.jpg

Prom's ain't easy, well for me anyway, well done, very nice.

If this kind of structure, unlike this one, is over the disc, it's called a filament. If it's partially over the disc and partially over the edge/limb, it's called a filaprom.

Great! I had to open up the camera (Skyris 618C) to 1/10 second exposure and very high levels of gain (hence the graininess) just to see anything.  Luke, I see you are just down the road from me  - I'm in St Neots - so you have to contend with the same low altitude sun. It just clears the neighbours houses at the moment, and seems to be little higher than a hand's width above the horizon.  Roll on Summer. And the next Solar Max ;-) 

Archived