NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Capture software

jambouk

I use APT (Astro Photography Tool) with my Starlight SXVF H9C - in the past I have used Artemis (with an Atik camera) and I am currently playing with Maxim (but thats not free).

Artemis worked OK but the UI was a bit 1980's.

I like APT as I can use it with both my CCD and my Canon SLR - so just one (intuitive) piece of software to learn. It works with any ASCOM compliant camera.

APT isnt free but its virtually free - I think its about £8 - worth every penny. You can trial it for free here - http://www.ideiki.com/astro/  with the majority of features functioning.

For DSO imaging with a CCD, what free software do others recommend for image capture? EZCAP seems to freeze my laptop, but then anything seems to make my laptop freeze :(

Thanks for any replies

James

Hi james,

What camera are you going to use for the DSOs?

A.G

I've used both APT and Nebulosity. Both work but both have issues.

APT's user interface wastes a lot of screen space so the images on my netbook are very small. Nebulosity has a lot of bugs especially with DSLR live view and focuser control.

I've settled on using an old version of Nebulosity that does not have the live view bugs.

James

Hi james,

What camera are you going to use for the DSOs?

A.G

I think that you could use APT, free but the licence is only £10.00 for the full version, using Ascom drivers or Nebulasity 3 which is $80.00. I use both APT for DSLR and NEB 3 for everything else.

Regards,

A.G

I won a key for apt, and while the developer has been very helpful via email, i just find it very non counter intuitive to use. I wondered if here was other software which worked better with my brain and laptop. EZCAP seems good, just upsets my laptop.

Thanks all

James

Archived