Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astro-Imaging: Decisions and Advice Needed

Hello fellow stargazers,

I realise that I'm new to astronomy but I'm trying to learn at a rapid rate.

So far I have purchased the Skywatcher 130P EQ2, 2x Achromatic Barlow and T-Ring adapter for my Canon EOS 500D.

However...

I know that a motor drive will be required for long exposure photography of deep sky targets and that's fine.

But...

Which is the better approach?

Using the 500D on the T-Ring mount or going for something like the Celestron NexImage 5 Colour and stacking the images?

I just want to make sure I'm investing wisely and appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Many thanks indeed!

Andy

The best investment you could make at the moment is to buy a copy of "Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards (Steppenwolf on the forum) - available from FLO for about £20  (usual disclaimer).  This takes you by the hand through all aspects of astro-imaging and tells you what kit you need and how to use it.  In the long run it will give you good advice and point out the pitfalls, ultimately saving you money!!

Mount, mount, mount.

Sorry to say your EQ2 is nowhere near good enough for DSO imaging especially. Even the next mount up, the EQ3-2 is best suited to wide-field with a DSLR and lens.

The least expensive mount that works reliably is probably the HEQ5. Yes, I know people image in the EQ5, but the HEQ5 is in a different league, and is built for the job, rather than being co-opted.

I will repeat what DaveS has said - the mount is key.

To cut cost slightly get the Celestron CG-4 (same head as EQ3-2 but has better tubular legs and bearings) and upgrade with polar scope, RA axis motor or better the SynScan EQ3-2 upgrade.

That'll be approx £531 (with SynScan).

I would consider this or the EQ5 as a minimum spec. mount.

Archived