Some guidance needed. (attaching DSLR to Refractor)

Hi guys tonight I went out to do some imaging with my new scope 80ED DS pro. I attached my Cannon 1100D to my T-ring adaptor then plonked it in my scope.. and well didn't work out as I planned. I've used this method with my reflector and its worked but somehow on a refractor it didn't can someone tell me why and what do I need? 

Many Thanks. 

If you want to use the native focal length then you need to get a 2" extender (Williams optics do a lovely one). If you're after DSO's then you need to be using a focal reducer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi you need an extension tube to make up part of the distance that would otherwise make up the focal length. However, you really need a field flattener/focal reducer. The native focal ratio of 7.5 is rather slow...

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reducersflatteners/skywatcher-85x-reducer-flattener-for-ed80.html

Hth

Louise

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I took a photograph just to make sure what my camera was 'seeing' and it was a picture of tube inside that was all. Right now all I have is a Cannon T-Ring this is a direct link to the page http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/t-rings.html. @Thalestris24 Thank you for both links though the Skywatcher Reducer/Flattener will be something I will purchase in the future. Right now I'm concentrating on a guiding setup. The second link you sent me i'm not to sure what that is and how it would connect to my T-Ring/DSLR. 

Thanks again guys. 

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I took a photograph just to make sure what my camera was 'seeing' and it was a picture of tube inside that was all. Right now all I have is a Cannon T-Ring this is a direct link to the page http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/t-rings.html. @Thalestris24 Thank you for both links though the Skywatcher Reducer/Flattener will be something I will purchase in the future. Right now I'm concentrating on a guiding setup. The second link you sent me i'm not to sure what that is and how it would connect to my T-Ring/DSLR. 

Thanks again guys. 

Hi

If you're going to use it without the ff/fr then you'll just need the extension tube. The M48 T-ring is to directly connect your Canon to the ff/fr. You will have a narrower fov and you'll need longer exposures without the ff/fr and you will get field curvature distortion around the edges but you can probably live with that!

All the best

Louise

ps good luck with the Glasgow weather and light pollution! Maybe you can get away from it - sadly, I can't :(

Yeah for now I'm not to fussed about the longer exposure times as some have advised for a beginner that is sometimes more suitable and yeah the field curvature distortion around the edges aren't a problem for now and I've read this can be fixed in PS as a beginner its all about learning and practising. 

Haha the light pollution is terrible but what can you do. I do plan on traveling to dark sites once I have honed my skills. 

Hi

I have APT rather than BYEos but liveview only shows anything much at F5 if it's a really bright star. At F7.5 you'll probably have to do multiple short exposure to focus properly (unless the moon, or maybe Jupiter, is handy). In APT you can set up a focus plan which allows you to take exposures without having to save the images.

Cheers

Louise

@Thalestris24 I haven't tried APT I took a look at some screen shots wasn't to impressed by its UI tho I know you should never judge a book by its cover and its free right lol? 

I've used BYE a few good times now, tonight was unfortunate but in the past i've not had a problem like this. In the past  I was using my newtonian 200P (took the scope of the dob and mounted on the EQ6) and I would have difficulties viewing stars on live view until I switched on HD View and that helped but tonight that didn't help. I suspect like all of you have pointed out that I need a extension tube. Tho does this explain why when I took a photograph it took a picture of the inside of my scope? 

It's a little trap that quite a few of us have been caught in.

Just been caught in that trap with the Borg 67FL, yep it needed extensions as well.

It's not mentioned anywhere and does'nt come with any.

The picture on FLO's website and at Hutech alludes to an extension but the set does'nt include any. :rolleyes:

BTW

FLO does show both the 48mm t-ring and the flattner/reducer on the ED80 PRO outfit webpage.

I assume it's a big hint thats what one needs if your imaging.

Anyway, you have a nice scope and when you get it working you will be pleased with it.

Archived