NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M51 project finally started

MartinB

Nearly at the end of a long journey getting my imaging gear sorted. When seeing permits my imaging will be based around a 10"LX200R using adaptive optics F5.9/6.7/10 and either a QHY8 or SXV H9 (the H9 for tiny stuff). Setting up has been a real headache but I'm nearly there. Still a few spacing issues to sort and a small software niggle.

I'm going to spend the next couple of months on M51 at F10 with the QHY8. At this slow speed I need a lot of time! Will also be gathering some Ha.

Moderate seeing last night but just about good enough to make it worth a first stab. Only 7x10 mins because of some technical problems so the image is pretty noisy and lacking fine detail but I'm on my way!

4301_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

That's a good start Martin.

Was that at f/10?, if so, the guiding is excellent as when imaging at f/10, there can be no 'slack' in the guiding system.

With the Lodestar being so sensitive, I now find that I can run the ED80 (guide scope) at f/15 (x2 Barlow), which is good for the 12" LX200R and its 3048mm Focal length.

I look forward to seeing your M51 project grow, and I reckon we are going to be quite impressed.

Dave

Thanks chaps.

Dave - I was at F10, thanks to adaptive optics. Using a guide period of 0.3 secs and 3 guiding cycles per sec. Would have been much faster but my guider was at the end of it's travel in the AO unit so not lined up flat. this was distorting the guide star. Will soon have this sorted so should then be able to get down to 0.1 sec intervals or less.

It's the SXV unit Rob with the lodestar guider.

Archived