Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DIY Powertank HELP needed

edjrgibbs

Hi

Hopefully someone can help...

I've constructed a DIY powertank but I'm having some problems. I've got an 85ah deep cycle battery, its connected to the following in order:

- Master switch

- Distributor

- Fuse box

- Switch x 4 

- 12v socket x4

- Negative terminal on Battery

The problem is that when plugging my mount in all looks fine (the led on the 12v plug comes on) but when the mount is switched on it the light doesn't come on but the led on the 12v plug switches off. 

I've tests the 12v sockets independently (without switches etc.) and they work fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ed

Greetings

check the voltage on the supply to the mount while switching on the mount as close to the mount as you can get, if it drops low double check connections including the inside of the plug to the mount. follow the drop back along to power train till you find no drop.

Andy

Check all your joints, have you soldered them, or just crimped?

Soldering is always best.

Seems like you have a lot of connections, are they all necessary?

If you have a fuse box why do you need a distributor as well?

Hi Herbig

The distributer is to take the one wire input from the switch and split it into 4 for the switches and 12v sockets. It might not all be necessary but I wanted a master kill switch and 4 independently fused and powered 12v sockets. Schematic is on another post.

Hi Per

Can you explain what a clamping diode is?

All

I think the next step is to check each section at a time to see where the voltage drop is happening. I'll report back.

Thanks

Ed

What voltage does your mount really require? I have a voltmeter on my power tank and it typically shows 12.6V (ish) while in use. I have a recollection that some mounts require nearer 13 - 15V and not 12V.

The diode sits between incoming plus and minus with the anode on the plus-side. If you reverse polarity, current will flow through the diode instead of damaging the circuits behind it. If the red LED on the 12V plug goes out when it is plugged in I think reverse poalrity may be the reason.

/per

Thanks all, tracked the voltage through the system and it turns out that it was a problem with the in line fuse. For some reason it was dropping to 2v. Replaced the wire and holder and now all working .

Ed

Archived