Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Luminos

bish

Bish,

Have you looked at the prices on TS site over in Germany, I don't understand what the game is. Luminos and Axiom are much the same I believe but the latter is almost twice the price. If you notice ExSc have brought down the cost of their range as did Meade so maybe it is to do with that. The ExSc 4.7 & 6.7mm are only 119 E over there, these were once something like 160 quid. To take your point what is the draw back, I don't know the 4.7mm ExSc I tested in review the other week seemed very good, though I did make the point that I didn't think it was as good as my old Meade 4.7mm.

Price war maybe?

Alan.

Thanks Alan and Robin. The more you look into eps the harder it is to make a decision. One of the biggest things for me is comfort. I don't wear glasses but find my radian the most comfortable to use, which may be due to the 20mm eye relief I expect. BGO's are great but I sold mine because I couldn't press my eye up to a pin hole.  The trouble is that I like a fairly wide angle - but then you are in the realms of £250 delos. I guess life is about compromises!

Bish,

I like the Radians as well, I still have the 3,4,& 5mm and wish I had kept the 6mm. I have read all sorts of write-ups saying they have a colour caste. Not so much now but I used to have excellent eyes, tested to death with a very long and involved test on one subject, colour perception. Now I am not saying mince pies are as good now but I find it very hard to see this caste, some things I have read make it sound like putting sunglasses on, in my view this is not the case.

Try to pick up some Meade 5000 UWA from the first range out, not the new waterproof ones, they are very good indeed, I wish I had not sold mine, they can be got for less than 100 pounds each apart from the 24mm and 30mm. Even they will not break the bank.

Alan.

Bish,

I like the Radians as well, I still have the 3,4,& 5mm and wish I had kept the 6mm. I have read all sorts of write-ups saying they have a colour caste. Not so much now but I used to have excellent eyes, tested to death with a very long and involved test on one subject, colour perception. Now I am not saying mince pies are as good now but I find it very hard to see this caste, some things I have read make it sound like putting sunglasses on, in my view this is not the case.

Try to pick up some Meade 5000 UWA from the first range out, not the new waterproof ones, they are very good indeed, I wish I had not sold mine, they can be got for less than 100 pounds each apart from the 24mm and 30mm. Even they will not break the bank.

Alan.

Hi Alan. Yes I have read similar reports on the Radians but haven't noticed anything myself. I will look out for the older 5000 UWA range. I've bought and sold a few eps but hopefully will arrive at a point soon where I have just what I need (although naglers and delos will always be tempting!).

Archived