Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observation of planets

Hi guys!

Yesterday I watched quite nice movie on YT - about two hours about stargazing. Strong point of this video was total lack of any interviews with so-called 'scientists', just pure facts and narration. Anyway, I feel very inspired by that clip, mainly because of other planets mentioned there. Now I wonder - is that possible to see planets in Pegasus with consumer scope? I mean with Skyliner 200P?

This may sound stupid, but I had no idea, that other planets are so 'close' to us, just up there :D. I have to see them with my own eyes! I didn't really plan it, but I spoke with my lady today and we agreed on 300 pounds budget for new scope. I think that my DAS and another motorcycle can wait till spring - after all now is the best time to get out and explore skies :D

Given the budget, could anyone suggest me a scope that has some room for upgrades? I mean, to be used for imaging later? I have seen SL200P mounted with tracking on the forum here, but any other options? I will observe, but also want to do extreme spotting and AP as well. Or maybe should I wait and get some more cash for it? I did think about second hand stuff, but that's a no for me, want to stick to brand new.

I know that there was a lot of similar threads, so please, don't get too hard on me. I think I needed to grow up to make decission about purchase, convinced my gal, made room for it in my cave, just want to make sure I won't go wrong with Skyliner.

All advifce and patience of posters grealty appreciated!

Cheers
Tom

Are you talking about planets (i.e. those in our solar system) or exo-planets (those around other stars?).

If the latter, forget it. If the former then yes. You can see at least Venus, Mars, Saturn and Jupiter with naked eye, Mercury and Uranus with binoculars and even Neptune with a basic telescope.

Through a telescope, detail will be seen on Mars, Jupiter (you will also see moons) and Saturn (you will also see moons) but you will only see the discs of Uranus, Neptune and the phases of Venus and Mercury. You may at a push see moons of Uranus/Neptune but difficult.

Thank you mate.

I had in mind planets outside our Solar System. From our neighbours I have seen all but Neptune and Uranus. Must admit, binos are powerful tool when used on night sky.

Just now I found info that planet I mentioned (51 Peg B) is not that visible, but some observations of the star circled by it reveal its presence.

Anyway, this time I am sure I want to get into it. There is so much to see and learn :D...

I don't believe any planets outside our solar system are detectable in the sort of scopes that most amateurs have access to.

For your budget you can get a scope that will show nice views of Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn and their main surface features, Uranus and Neptune as tiny disks and Mercurys disk / phase when it's favourably positioned. Even the larger planets will look pretty small though, in all honesty.

Thank you too John!

Well, I realised how stupid the question is after just few minutes of research. I have seen Qualia's thread 'what can be seen' and for some reason just forgot it.

You see, that's why I hate to be new to anything. Will have to work to change it asap.

I guess you have seen some weird stuff before and am glad I'm not a champion :D

I keep looking but so far mentioned Skyliner seems to be the best I can get now. Within my budget I will get scope, t-ring for spotting and few small cigars to enjoy fresh air :D

Will do the DAS and will get bigger bike, you can bet on it mate :D.

But let's face it, winter is coming, I'm not gonna ride as much as I did till now - slowly start to hate the rain :D.

190 sounds like real bargain. Thanks for advice.

Archived