NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which ep shall I buy?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.......And I do notice coma in f/5 with 30mm 70° eyepieces. It's my opinion though......

.........Ideally you should try the eyepieces yourself.......

An F/5 newtonian generates quite a lot more coma than an F/6.

I agree that there is nothing like trying for yourself. For the price that the OP can get a used 17mm Nagler for the risk is low though because virtually all of that investment could be recouped if the eyepiece proves not to his taste.

Tele Vue have enthusiatic owners the world over for a good reason.

What I meant is that at these FOV you aren't really using all that corrected field in a premium & expensive 30mm eyepiece, and better spend the money in 20mm region, where the coma is less noticeable.

And I do notice coma in f/5 with 30mm 70° eyepieces. It's my opinion though.

thats probably astigmatism from the eyepiece.

follow the advice of John and Moonshane. plan your EP's for the future and build a quality set. i wish i had realized this sooner would have saved me some pennies. now im slowly getting there with a few decent naglers in my case.

IMO anything f5 or faster you cannot beat televue anything slower than f5 then by all means go for ES but televue have a great reputation for quality control and off axis correction.

I am intrigued by the explorer scientific eps, they sound pretty good. Re: the star party, is that an all weekender thing?

I don't have any experience of the Nagler range.

But the Explore Scientific 82degree is very good, while the Delos is superb.

I noticed on Jupiter that there is a very slight loss of clarity on the outer 10-20% of the Field of View on the ES 11mm (Barlowed to 240x mag).

It needed refocussing slightly as the planet reached the very edge of the 82 degree view.

This is something I hadn't noticed on the 6mm Delos (at 200x mag)

Either the TV eyepiece is better, or the 70 degree FoV is more tolerant of the edge effects.

Is the TV worth 2.5x the price of the ES 82o - probably not.

Does it give 100% clear views, when the ES can only deliver a 95 % to 98% clear view - definitely.

Will I be selling either of the Ep's - no way, they are both keepers.

Archived