NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

starting up question.

Happy-Kat.  cheers for the steel tube update.

is the focuser issue a resolution thing i.e. struggling to move it in small enough increments to focus well or just a bit notchy making it less pleasant to use?

presumably if its a resolution thing adding the 'peanut butter jar lid' mod to increase the size of the actual focusing nut would provide better resolution. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The focuser is not taught so it feels slightly loose with play and finding exact position you wind it in then out then in then out and stop. I need to do the plumbing tape trick still on mine. I have made a light shroud to many street lights for me not to.

Our heritage is sitting on a side unit behind me now.

I keep the ST80 and AZ3 at my Mum's where it is dark.

Table top use is still some contortions and I found to sit and view (part extend the legs) the ST80 on the AZ3 much easier for me.

The ST80 on an AZ3 is £123 bundle at FLO I think.

There is the 100p on a dob mount that has had reviews on here by members comparing directly to the ST80.

That is also a table top dob mounted scope for £98 I think.

I use the heritage on the ground and sit on a small portable stool or sit the scope on a garden chair or on a bucket.

You do get more apperature for the extra money of the 130p (£29.00) and I guess you will be able to mount it also on your tripod (might need an adaptor).

Not really clear cut. But you mention Wednesday you might get to a local star meet and hopefully this will help your decision. You might come away with the 150p.

sorry, my mistake about the tube. I am sure I read it has a compressed paper tube somewhere (this is not that uncommon in some makes of scope (e.g. the older meades) and actually makes for a much more stable air temperature.

either way it's not an imaging scope.

when choosing any scope it's a compromise between many factors:

budget for scope

budget for accessories (eyepieces, finders, filters, mount)

available space

ability to move

ability to transport to darker skies

quality of home skies

whether imaging or visual

types of object

level of expectation regarding what you will see

it is rare to find one scope that does everything in all areas but assuming visual observing only from an average site in terms of light pollution, great views and thousands of available objects for the aperture, reasonably easy on eyepieces then I stand by my original suggestion of a 6" skywatcher dob (or an 8" is preferable if you can)

If you have restricted space and access to dark skies then perhaps a fast 100-120mm refractor might be a good option.

if you are determined to follow the imaging route then given your comments I'd think again if I am being honest.

cheers Moonshane,

again food for thought. Primary use will be observation but like most people I think as soon as I see something worthwhile I'll want to get a photo.

and of course expectations with my £1 xbox camera will be sufficiently low!

good to have another point of view to consider and I'm not in a massive rush. To the best of my knowledge the stars aren't going anywhere. :)

no worries Andrew

I have five scopes currently all for visual (with kinda different uses) and 15 eyepieces (repeat) and tried imaging the moon once with decent results for a point and press attached to the eyepiece. BUT imaging never really hooked me as I enjoy gawping through the eyepiece too much to let the camera hog the scope.

in your shoes I'd maybe try some cheap imaging if you like but just see how observing goes for now. if you buy second hand then you are risking little and can sell to buy more/different kit if you change your tack.

in the end you'll make mistakes as we all do. just enjoy yourself in the process.

exactly. I've already scored a brand new un-used eq-3 tripod and a bunch of eye pieces, barlow and filters from a better quality scope for £60 from someone that was just after the ota and got those bits as part of the package. I'm happy taking my time to find the right scope but I'm fully aware that what suits me now will probably not suit me in 6 months time, or I'll have more than one scope!  :rolleyes:

the st80 size scope at least means I can throw it in my holdall as cabin luggage when we go away on holiday and potentially can be used for other things down the line. if not it should be easily saleable to someone in the similar position as myself in 6 months time.

decisions decisions.........

I have used my ST80 as a day time zoom lens just to see what it might do. Plenty CA but have plans to try next time I have a go.

For me it is small enough and have had a pleasing sight of Jupiter and the Moon and m44 such that it will always have a place on the shelf.

Both the scopes responded well to the maxvision 16mm that I choose as an upgraded eye piece. There is a member d ick dangerous who used one in London and wrote about the experience. The reality is dso might be the smallest of grey smudges but you still found it what ever the telescope.

One day we might get a much bigger light bucket that are popular but for now size and portability and weight were more important for us and I guess one scope is never enough lol (I already have 3 small scopes one refractor one newtonian and one mac).

If I get to look through a much bigger scope things may change. :-)

ha! I'm pretty much sold on a suitably portable refractor. If I can find a second hand ed80 for sensible money I'll probably not be able to resist. They are supposed to be very good, hence the £350 price tag.

Likewise I need to see how much bigger the st102 is compared to the st80. As in would it fit in cabin luggage still.

I have taken the ST80 in it's bag in a ruck sack as hand luggage the tripod in the case not much room for anything else but that member I mentioned had used their's on a photo tripod.

The 102 might have to travel as hand luggage with the dew shield off to comply with length. No ideas here probably worth you searching on this.

The focal length is 500mm

So the length from the lense to the end of the diagonal is 500mm I guess.

So the dew shield would have to come off as this is about 150mm extra on top.

Why not ring and ask FLO what the length is with and without the dew shield and also the weight.

All sorted thanks to RobH on here who kindly met up with me this morning and did me a killer deal on his ST120.

I'm pleased as punch and can't wait for it to get dark.

suffice to say I apologise in advance for the cloud in the North Devon area this evening  :rolleyes:

no rain but lots of cloud. got a few peeks at the moon but that's about it really.

early start for work tomorrow closes play.

Happy bunny though. :)

Hi Andrew :)

I've been really struggling over whether to get the ST120 or the Explorer 150. My heart is drawn to the ST120 so can't wait to hear how you get on with it! It looks a great scope :) Wishing you some clear skies!

I was swayed towards a refractor because I wanted to observe but also dip my toe into the whole taking pictures of what I was seeing thing. 

I was looking for an st80 but the st120 came up at the right price in the classifieds.

It's quite large so I've lost some of the portability I was originally looking for but if it becomes a big deal I'll buy an st80 or equivalent aswell.

The little chance I've had to enjoy it has been fun but the weather and a bout of the lurgy which has laid me low for the past couple of days has done for any observing this week so far.

I like the scope, the focuser is a little agricultural even after I cleaned out the original 'glue' that passes for lubrication and used something nicer. I can adjust the focuser to run with less pressure but at the expense of some wobble in the focuser tube. if I adjust it to take the wobble out it stiffens up the focussing action a little bit more than I'd like. minor quibble though on a budget scope and mine was second hand so new ones might be a bit better.

I can notice a little bit of chromatic aberration but it's certainly not at a level that I consider un-useable or unpleasant at this time. perhaps if I was used to looking through some gucci gear I might have a different opinion but for someone whose never owned or even looked through a proper telescope before it's met and probably exceeded my expectations.

oh yes, it's suprisingly weighty aswell. I thought there'd be much more plastic in the construction than there is.

Archived