Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

starting up question.

I was swayed towards a refractor because I wanted to observe but also dip my toe into the whole taking pictures of what I was seeing thing. 

I was looking for an st80 but the st120 came up at the right price in the classifieds.

It's quite large so I've lost some of the portability I was originally looking for but if it becomes a big deal I'll buy an st80 or equivalent aswell.

The little chance I've had to enjoy it has been fun but the weather and a bout of the lurgy which has laid me low for the past couple of days has done for any observing this week so far.

I like the scope, the focuser is a little agricultural even after I cleaned out the original 'glue' that passes for lubrication and used something nicer. I can adjust the focuser to run with less pressure but at the expense of some wobble in the focuser tube. if I adjust it to take the wobble out it stiffens up the focussing action a little bit more than I'd like. minor quibble though on a budget scope and mine was second hand so new ones might be a bit better.

I can notice a little bit of chromatic aberration but it's certainly not at a level that I consider un-useable or unpleasant at this time. perhaps if I was used to looking through some gucci gear I might have a different opinion but for someone whose never owned or even looked through a proper telescope before it's met and probably exceeded my expectations.

oh yes, it's suprisingly weighty aswell. I thought there'd be much more plastic in the construction than there is.

Thanks for getting back....get well soon btw!

It sounds like I'd probably get on ok with it. Although it's heavy, I don't think I can lug a reflector around and wait for the cool down at the moment (currently in recovery from illness so not very strong!). A lot of people do warn of the CA in these refractors, but like you say, if you're not used to looking through something else, then you're probably not as fussed by it....and this will be my first scope too. Did you notice the CA on just really bright objects, or was it present on most things you viewed?

I've not seen any of the ST120s eBay or in the local papers so I will likely have to buy new so I'll have to see how the focuses goes. As you know, it comes on the EQ3-2 mount, so there are options for other similarly weight scopes in the future I guess.

I'll look forward to your photos if you have a go at snapping what you find!

;)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers, it's the near fatal strain of manflu. I'be been lucky to survive this long!  ;)

Hopefully your on the mend also.

I'm not exactly Geoff Capes a bit more Mr Bean really but I can move the scope on the mount with the counter weights attached reasonably easily in and out of the shed and around the garden but I definitely wouldn't want to have carry it for a mile.

I initially used it to catch some bird action in the tree's about 500m away and c.a. was noticeable but not majorly distracting in the change between the green foliage and the bright sky above and behind it.

Likewise with the moon there was a hint of it but again not to the level that it was off putting or spoilt the views.

I haven't had enough time behind the focuser to say much more than that at this stage.

I'm just starting to put together some of the bits for grabbing some photo's but need to make a decision on what I want camera wise.

I've just sold some stuff from another hobby to top up my camera fund!

Cheers, it's the near fatal strain of manflu. I'be been lucky to survive this long!  ;)

Hopefully your on the mend also.

I'm not exactly Geoff Capes a bit more Mr Bean really but I can move the scope on the mount with the counter weights attached reasonably easily in and out of the shed and around the garden but I definitely wouldn't want to have carry it for a mile.

I initially used it to catch some bird action in the tree's about 500m away and c.a. was noticeable but not majorly distracting in the change between the green foliage and the bright sky above and behind it.

Likewise with the moon there was a hint of it but again not to the level that it was off putting or spoilt the views.

I haven't had enough time behind the focuser to say much more than that at this stage.

I'm just starting to put together some of the bits for grabbing some photo's but need to make a decision on what I want camera wise.

I've just sold some stuff from another hobby to top up my camera fund!

Yikes! Not the dreaded Man Flu! I'm surprised you're out of quarantine ;)

It sounds about right weight wise...I'll have to get my dad round... or the sack truck if it gets to much...to top it all I'm only 5 feet tall so I'll probably make for some amusing viewing if the neighbours are watching! ;)

Thanks for the description about the CA. That's sounds completely fine to me. I'm looking at the entry level Canon DSLRs on eBay too....complete novice so huge learning curve, but it's nice to have a go and learn!

Well, I feel I've made up my mind (a rarity for this girl!) ...I'm going to get one!

cool!  everything I've picked up so far suggests the eos450 is the minimum entry level if you want live view which seems to make life a little easier for focusing.

I'm tempted by the mirrorless dslr's because they're about half the weight but haven't done enough research yet to see if it's the way to go yet.

I'm trying to get the best bang for my bucks by getting stuff second hand where possible and my complete set-up is just over £150 so far although more bits should be coming shortly.

We sound in the same boat @Andrew! I'd looked at the 450D and had also been trying to compare the newer 100D the 700D and the older 1100D...one eye searching on eBay, while the other eye was wither on here or FLO's website lol!

All good fun...besides, if nothing comes of the astrophotography, I'd love to take pics of the Milky Way!

Look forward to seeing your photos :)

I've decided on the dslr because it'll do double duty as my normal everyday camera also especially as I don't have one at the moment.

I've got a sony HDR-AS15 video camera which is sony's version of the go pro and it's fantastic BUT it's minimum field of view is 120 degrees and is totally unsuited to this application.

Ideal for catching my snorkelling, kiteboarding, cycling etc but just no good for this sadly.

Technology has moved on rapidly since the old days of my fuji finepix bridge style camera so I'm doing a bit more digging before I commit.

The other thing I'd say is if you want to observe as well as image you'll probably look to upgrade the eye pieces fairly early on.

I, along with many others I suspect, have got my eyes open for the Baader Hyperion zoom lens to appear second hand.

cheers Blazar,

I tried using my phone but really struggled to line up the phone with the eye piece and hold it steady whilst trying to press the screen to take a photo.

Figured I'd have the same trouble with the wife's point and shoot. I could have bought a digiscope adapter to hold them in place but I put that £20 into the new camera.

I've now sourced a lumix g1 mirrorless. Whilst it isn't a canon so I lose out on tethering capabilities it's got live view, a fully articulating screen, 12mp, a digital view finder for regular camera work and can be controlled with a remote easily. all for £55  :)  should be here in the next couple of days.

I have used a Canon EOS-M (mirror less) for some prime and focal stuff. not the easiest, though did get some nice photos in the end. The key to it was the mount (as usual).

med_gallery_27945_3180_2985323.jpg

ISO800, 60 second exposure using the 800 Edge on the AVX.

Just mess around and see what you can come up with....Lunar stuff is always great as well to start off with!

Cheers Blazar,

I suspect you may have already discovered it but just in case check out magic lantern which is a firmware upgrade for the eos m (I almost bought one!)

lots of good stuff in it included a built in intervalometer.

cheers Dave,

yes the G1 body weighs significantly less than my eyepiece and diagonal combined.

I already have the t adaptor and the t ring should be here tomorrow/monday.

guaranteed cloud for the next few days I reckon!

Archived